North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andrew's Yellow Jeep Build.

+12
OverlandXJ
janesy
CrawlingForward
blue55
saxmanclay
Mark
Jeepin Dave
DakotaBuck
dongalonga
angri
Ryan McKee
Andrew Miller
16 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Andrew's Yellow Jeep Build. - Page 6 Empty Re: Andrew's Yellow Jeep Build.

Post  Mark 9/12/2014, 9:44 am

Man, that's tough luck Andrew!,, It happened to me too.
I replaced my frame and it is alot of work.
If you got a new frame then all of the other mods can come later, at least you would have you jeep going again..
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 9/15/2014, 1:40 pm

Mark just posted a link to a TJ frame on the forum....
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

http://www.geoffreymarsh.com

Back to top Go down

Post  desertzj 9/19/2014, 6:19 pm

Andrew that's where I was with my zj...only with engine not frame (ha frames) my buddy checked out what I thought was piston slap and he was pretty sure the engine was going to need some decent work (even with him charging me next to nothing for the work could have cost 1k plus easy. That was one reason why I made the jump, but if you have a solid motor and tranny, frame swap is a good option (especially since you have a different vehicle to dd if need be IIRC). I will say i've helped on a frame off rebuild of a tj and it was not the easiest thing in the world haha.

We all build these knowing we're throwing money away, and loving every second of it on the trails haha.
desertzj
desertzj
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Miller 9/20/2014, 12:01 am

desertzj wrote:Andrew that's where I was with my zj...only with engine not frame (ha frames) my buddy checked out what I thought was piston slap and he was pretty sure the engine was going to need some decent work (even with him charging me next to nothing for the work could have cost 1k plus easy. That was one reason why I made the jump, but if you have a solid motor and tranny, frame swap is a good option (especially since you have a different vehicle to dd if need be IIRC). I will say i've helped on a frame off rebuild of a tj and it was not the easiest thing in the world haha.

We all build these knowing we're throwing money away, and loving every second of it on the trails haha.

Exactly, the motor is in great shape at 175k, and the transmission is new as of this past April and kicks some serious ass! I mean I could keep patching the frame, but at some point enough is enough, time for a frame swap. I have no intentions of getting rid of her, at least at the moment. She's my first vehicle, I'm too attached I guess.
Andrew Miller
Andrew Miller
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 9/20/2014, 11:02 am

It's a bit of work Andrew but it's not hard to do.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Miller 9/23/2014, 3:05 pm

Update regarding the frame.  After looking on quadratec and morris 4x4, they don't list the section i need at all. What i need is the front passenger lower control arm mount section.  So i did a little research.  As it turns out, Auto Rust (company that made the previous frame sections) does indeed make the section i am looking for! It costs $289, but it will save me from doing a frame swap in the spring.  Having this done should give me a few years to get everything else done on the jeep before i do a frame swap.  Also, it is more cost effective right now to just get this sections done. Here is the link to the frame section. http://autorust.com/store/jeep/front_frame_rear_section_w_trail_arm_mount_97-03_tj_set

And here are some pictures of my frame.
Andrew's Yellow Jeep Build. - Page 6 Null_zpsf33949b1

Bottom
Andrew's Yellow Jeep Build. - Page 6 Null_zpsee95dba7

Inside of frame rail
Andrew's Yellow Jeep Build. - Page 6 Null_zpsf47abb1e

Obviously with the current condition i dont really feel to good wheeling the jeep, or even on road to much really.  I did get the 3rd and 4th off of work to go to OFR, but now it looks like i am going to see if i can ride along with someone. I dont think there is any chance i will be able to get it fixed by then.
Andrew Miller
Andrew Miller
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  desertzj 9/23/2014, 3:09 pm

Glad you found the sections. Come spring im gonna do those two sections of we talked about the other day. Although not nearly as concerning as what youve got going on. Lol
desertzj
desertzj
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake 9/23/2014, 4:23 pm

Whoa, yea that does look bad.. Glad the fix isn't too expensive
Jake
Jake
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  dongalonga 9/23/2014, 10:48 pm

Yeah definitely don't drive that on the road. At least offroad you won't kill yourself.
dongalonga
dongalonga
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 9/25/2014, 8:46 pm

Andrew, i don't know if this helps you at all , i found this site that sells frame sections, etc.

http://www.autobodyspecialt.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=JP-124-LH
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 9/30/2014, 3:31 pm

Youch. yeah, that's definitely beyond driveable.

I saw the picture up on Facebook, is that what is was going in for?
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

http://www.geoffreymarsh.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Miller 10/27/2014, 12:54 am

Well, the jeep has been treating me well for the past couple of weeks.  Just before Old Florida Road, she went into the shop for frame rust repair, and underbody support rust repair.  While the jeep was there I had them do a once over and kinda just check everything out. I figured since they are professionals it would be worth knowing what was seriously wrong with her other than the major cancer.  I received a phone call with a whole laundry list of things that were bad/other small things that I need to keep an eye on.  Come to find out, the major components that needed to be addressed were as follows:

-drivers side ball joints and U-joints were toast
-passenger side hub
-both U-joints in the rear driveshaft

I figured that since the jeep was already there to be worked on, why not just have them fix it all anyway. Seeing all the problem areas first hand with the jeep up on the lift I knew it had to be dealt with sooner than later. I know I could handle doing all that work myself, but with just a week before heading out to OFR, I had no time in the schedule to work on the jeep due to work everyday as well as school. I got the her back and she seriously drives better than she ever has before! Its amazing how the jeep drives with the frame and body actually attached to one another haha.

So just after I got her back from the shop both the starter and battery decided to shit the bed. Fortunately enough, I had replaced the starter 2 years ago and it was under warranty, so I got a brand new starter at no cost.  I also purchased a new battery and got the Die Hard Platinum P4. That old battery was originally in the jeep when I purchased it 4 years ago, and my guess is that battery was about 6-7 years old so it was time.  It had been warning me for a while.

Fast forward after OFR, I finally decided it was time to do something about my driveline vibrations so I installed my Currie rear upper aluminum double adjustable control arms.  Now, these control arms were sitting under my bed for 9 months because i thought I had purchased control arms with the wrongs ends.  I decided to get under the jeep and look at the factory arms and said "shit, those control arms will work after all" and so I went to town and got them done! I am now able to adjust my pinion angle and although I still have some minor vibrations, it is so much better than before. A slip yoke eliminator is still on the list.

So after breaking my KC lights on the front bumper for the 10th + time at OFR, I decided it was time to join the world of LED's. Picked up a set of Rigid Industries Dually D2 driving lights with my amazon prime account and saved a bunch of money. Can't beat that free 2 day shipping! These things are seriously the best lights ever! I don't have any good night shots of the lights because the Iphone takes kinda crappy pictures.

This wasn't supposed to turn into a novel, so here are some pictures!
Control Arms
Andrew's Yellow Jeep Build. - Page 6 Null_zps88c6083e
Andrew's Yellow Jeep Build. - Page 6 Null_zpsa0915e76
Andrew's Yellow Jeep Build. - Page 6 Null_zpse11d7605
Andrew's Yellow Jeep Build. - Page 6 Null_zpsc1b3291e
LED's
Andrew's Yellow Jeep Build. - Page 6 Null_zps14d26e1c
Andrew's Yellow Jeep Build. - Page 6 Null_zpsc0011146
Andrew's Yellow Jeep Build. - Page 6 Null_zpsf7e23aca
Andrew Miller
Andrew Miller
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dongalonga 10/28/2014, 2:46 pm

Nice updates man. If you need an SYE I have one sitting in the basement I didn't end up needing. Considering the TT is way down the road, I can let it go. 

Did they change the ball joints on both sides? I can't wait to see the Duallys.
dongalonga
dongalonga
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6