North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rob's 97, nothing crazy

+9
onlytopher
Tonellin
blue55
Ryan McKee
dongalonga
Mark
janesy
CrawlingForward
Rob Cote
13 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Rob's 97, nothing crazy - Page 5 Empty Re: Rob's 97, nothing crazy

Post  Rob Cote 7/17/2015, 11:10 am

Ryan McKee wrote:Looks damn good man! What's the plan for rear fenders?

Thanks I'm happy with the front end but it makes the rear look weak. I'll probably eventually get these:

Rob's 97, nothing crazy - Page 5 139811-lg

They don't necessarily match, but I still love them. I gotta find out if I can buy just the rears.

Anyway, the winch still works. Waiting on some heavy cable I ordered now so I can relocate the solenoids into the cabin. Been planning to do this for way too long, it's finally time. The front end looks a hell of a lot cleaner already, just by removing the box.
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 7/22/2015, 2:05 pm

I relocated the winch solenoids next to the battery to clean up the front end a bit. For now, I still have to plug in at the solenoids and use a remote, but it's now functional with rerouted wiring. Next I'll be hard-wiring the switch to a spot on the dash. I'd desperately love to find a SPDT momentary ON/OFF/ON momentary switch that fits the OEM switch location in the center stack. Does such a switch exist? The only ones I could find were SPST ON/OFF type. Help?
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 7/24/2015, 2:12 pm

I'm finally content with the exterior portion of this mod. I've been playing with various wire routing over a couple days. I think I'm gonna leave it like this. The boots over the terminals is a nice touch, too. Makes it much more "finished" in my opinion. Under-hood is pretty close, but not yet 100%. The switch is located in the dash. I used the existing rocker switch from the remote. I don't LOVE it, but it's good enough.

Rob's 97, nothing crazy - Page 5 BCV9bfU

Rob's 97, nothing crazy - Page 5 A2dzokk

Just barely fit. From driver's POV, you can't see it.
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 7/27/2015, 7:52 am

So I got all my wires laid out. I still have to wrap them, and probably secure them with some more wire ties, just to ensure they don't chafe. But here they are:

Rob's 97, nothing crazy - Page 5 L8YZnMI

And I got everything properly terminated at the solenoids. I'm content with the mounting, I just kind of wish I could still use a cover over them. But they've been submerged and doused with salt since being on the front end of the jeep, and they show hardly any corrosion, so I think they'll be fine.

Rob's 97, nothing crazy - Page 5 WoCDQVr

And lastly, here it is all buttoned up:

Rob's 97, nothing crazy - Page 5 SFcrg3T

Almost wish this thing had a battery cover now.
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 7/27/2015, 9:54 am

Looking good Rob,, under the hood looks great and it's alot cleaner up at the winch with out that solenoid box
, keep up the good work!
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 7/27/2015, 12:13 pm

Thanks Mark! At this point I think the only thing I could do better is synthetic line and a solid fairlead. But I can't justify the cost now. Plus there's plenty of other stuff to take care of within the Jeep before that. Like carpet. I think that's next. I've never had carpet in a Jeep what's that like?
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 7/27/2015, 4:37 pm

Having carpet is great, the floor doesn't get hot is summer and it keeps in the heat in cold weather.
My jeep seems to be a water magnet so i am constantly taking the front carpet set out.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 7/28/2015, 7:06 am

Anyone have experience with this product: http://www.quadratec.com/products/14051_8000.htm
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Rjcinelli 7/29/2015, 10:40 am

Rob Cote wrote:
Ryan McKee wrote:Looks damn good man! What's the plan for rear fenders?

Thanks I'm happy with the front end but it makes the rear look weak. I'll probably eventually get these:

Rob's 97, nothing crazy - Page 5 139811-lg

They don't necessarily match, but I still love them. I gotta find out if I can buy just the rears.

Anyway, the winch still works. Waiting on some heavy cable I ordered now so I can relocate the solenoids into the cabin. Been planning to do this for way too long, it's finally time. The front end looks a hell of a lot cleaner already, just by removing the box.

I believe my buddy Dave is going to be swapping over to flat flares, he has those ones you posted about, maybe he would give you a deal on them
Rjcinelli
Rjcinelli
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 7/29/2015, 10:53 am

Rjcinelli wrote:I believe my buddy Dave is going to be swapping over to flat flares, he has those ones you posted about, maybe he would give you a deal on them

Excellent! could you put us in touch please?
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  dongalonga 7/29/2015, 1:45 pm

Looks really good man.
dongalonga
dongalonga
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 7/29/2015, 2:17 pm

Thanks buddy! I'm pretty happy with it so far.
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 9/3/2015, 7:10 am

So I recently discovered this things actually a 99, not a 98.

Also, I was cruising into work this morning with the doors off. Some guy yelled over and tried to buy it off me while I was driving down Rt. 1. Shocked lol!
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  dongalonga 9/5/2015, 11:40 pm

How much did he offer?!
dongalonga
dongalonga
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 9/8/2015, 7:26 am

No offer because I shut him down. It's too fun to sell right now.
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 10/5/2015, 7:32 am

I replaced the factory control arms with some tubular adjustable ones with polyurethane bushings and spherical ball joints. I dunno what brand they are, but they were given to me for free dollars. They sucked to put in. But now instead of jiggling and rattling and shaking the front end just squeaks over bumps so I guess that's better.

Also new calipers pads and rotors up front because one of my calipers seized.

Ready for OFR.
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 10/8/2015, 2:01 pm

Here's a shot of the "new" control arms

Rob's 97, nothing crazy - Page 5 SHZoroC

No idea what brand they are. But they're beef. I just took them all apart, cleaned and greased everything, reassembled and painted them. The old bushings were so beat holy crap these made a world of difference in the solidity of the front end.

I also finally got around to trimming back the console the extra 1/4" I needed so the shifter doesn't hit the CB

Rob's 97, nothing crazy - Page 5 XfgNDMD
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 10/14/2015, 8:53 am

So on the frame end of the lower control arms, I have a small amount of play between the bolt and the sleeve in the bushing. Has anyone encountered this before? Everything was smooth for a few days, but now that the suspension has cycled a bunch I think the frame bracket and the control arm have probably worn just a slight bit of room between themselves and it allows the control arm to move in there. I'm not worried it'll fall out because the hardware is still tight, but it makes a clunk, most notably when hitting the brakes while reversing. It's annoying. And it causes a slight vibration when cornering at speed.

Trouble is, I don't know the brand of these, so I'm not sure how to buy a new bushing and/or sleeve. Presumably it's an off-the-shelf poly bushing, but I'm not really sure. And I don't really feel like experimenting til I find the right one.
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  THOOPY3 10/14/2015, 9:10 am

I've got the same thing going on except it's the upper arms, and it's at the axle side (but honestly probably both ends because it's the factory arms). I get the same clunk and other various squeak noises around turns, and a decent vibe at 45 mph.

Your best bet (and it may not be a quick process) is to scour the interwebs to find a photo of your control arms and determine their brand that way. From there you can determine what bushings you need and go about replacing them. It's not the most exact science but I've been able to pin down parts like that; luckily Jeeple like to post lots of photos of upgrades and brag about the brands they chose.
THOOPY3
THOOPY3
Moab Dessert

http://sorrygonecamping.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 10/14/2015, 11:05 am

THOOPY3 wrote:I've got the same thing going on except it's the upper arms, and it's at the axle side (but honestly probably both ends because it's the factory arms). I get the same clunk and other various squeak noises around turns, and a decent vibe at 45 mph.

Your best bet (and it may not be a quick process) is to scour the interwebs to find a photo of your control arms and determine their brand that way. From there you can determine what bushings you need and go about replacing them. It's not the most exact science but I've been able to pin down parts like that; luckily Jeeple like to post lots of photos of upgrades and brag about the brands they chose.

Bogus. I've tried that for a little bit with minimal success. But you are probably right that it's not going to be a quick process. The major concern I have with this method is that it's perhaps an older revision or something, so if I think I have the right brand, I may wrong myself by confirming with images from that manufacturer. If that makes sense. But I'll definitely keep trying.
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  THOOPY3 10/14/2015, 1:22 pm

Yeah my suggestion is mostly a last-resort type of thing since it's not exactly the most fool-proof way of going about things. Chances are someone out there is running them also, it's just a matter of trying to pin them down when you have nothing else to go off of.
THOOPY3
THOOPY3
Moab Dessert

http://sorrygonecamping.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonellin 10/14/2015, 2:11 pm

Post a pic of them on jeepforum.com in the tech section - good amount of guys on there will be able to tell you what manufacturer/generation and size bushing you need
Tonellin
Tonellin
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 11/10/2015, 9:24 am

So, no photos in this update but...yea it's been...interesting lately.

The gas tank skid let go and left me stranded. So that was fun. I finally got a Savvy skid in, new tank in, new fuel vapor line in because the old one (what was left of it) was heavily rotted and everything all buttoned up. I started it up last night to run for a bit because it hasn't been run in a while. Once the lines filled with gas, started up no problem. So I let it run while I picked up tools and whatnot.

Little background before we move any further forward with this story; over the summer, I replaced the serpentine belt and adjusted it to the best of my ability (this has a manual tensioner Mad ). So when the belt started sqealing a little, I didn't think much of it, just figured it may need a slight adjustment since the weather is colder now.

So I let it go for a few seconds then tried to give it a little gas. Sometimes a little extra slippage will heat up the belt enough for it to get traction and stop slipping. Well it didn't work per the usual, but it did slowly start quieting. Sweet. But since the thing hadn't run in a while, I think there was some dirt or grime burning off the exhaust or something, I dunno, it smelled kinda bad. So I popped the hood the take a look annnnd the alternator is not spinning at all. It's just locked up and the belt is dragging across it. So I shut it down immediately. A few seconds later, I'm back in the engine bay just Neutral blank-staring at it and then the belt just lets go. A final "fuck you, I'm out."

So yeah...alternator is on order now. Still can't drive it, but man I was close.
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 11/11/2015, 10:14 am

Thats too bad about the alternator Rob.
Those alternators have been known to  sieze up after they have been sitting.
I went through two of them myself and ended up installing a unit from a cherokee that puts out more amperage.
it is physically larger than the stock unit but fits in perfectly, i believe that it was 120 amps compared to the 90 amp unit it came with.
Good luck with it.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 11/12/2015, 7:47 am

I didn't know that was a common thing Mark. I put a wrench on it and I was able to get it to spin again, but it feels like the bearings are pretty crusty. It probably still works, so I'm gonna hang onto it for a future project. I was able to find a replacement 117 amp on Amazon for ~$90 so that's what I went with. You can spend a lot more on an alternator, though! Holy crap, I had no idea.
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next