North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exhaust Question

+2
Ryan McKee
jeeperscripes
6 posters

Go down

Exhaust Question Empty Exhaust Question

Post  jeeperscripes 1/7/2013, 11:36 am

Hidee Ho fellow Jeepers!! Its been a while!

I am finally getting around to fixing up Gepetto. I still havent replaced the O2 sensors and I think I just want to replace the exhaust, at 133K mi, prob a good idea to just do it. So questions,
1. I have a guy that will do the exhaust, but he welds instead of clamps. I am not sure I want that done? Note, I may not use him anyway....
2. I still have to replace the O2 sensors, but this guy is telling me that they are like $85 a piece. Thats way off, right? I just want to make sure I am not missing anything in regards to parts to replace. I may just replace all 4.
3. Anyone know a guy that will do this for me (replace brake pads too), do a good job and not rip me off? My max budget for this is $1800.

Thanks! Hope all is well with everyone!
jeeperscripes
jeeperscripes
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Exhaust Question Empty Re: Exhaust Question

Post  Ryan McKee 1/7/2013, 12:40 pm

I'd truly hope you go nowhere near $1,800. Or $1,000. Or hopefully even $800.

New O2 sensors are $30-40 a piece on RockAuto.com. A well-known place like Lou's Custom Exhaust can do a cat-back exhaust system welded in for under $400. Brakes are something that any of us can help with, after spending about $150-200 at Advance Auto Parts for the rotors and new pads.
Ryan McKee
Ryan McKee
Admin

http://www.fellswaymedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jeeperscripes 1/7/2013, 12:56 pm

Thanks Ryan! I hope I dont either, but I was taking into account a middle of the road exhaust, since I may sell in a year and downsize back to a 2 door. Lous, thats the place in Waltham? I also forgot to add I needed 4 hinges sanded and repainted.
jeeperscripes
jeeperscripes
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan McKee 1/7/2013, 1:14 pm

jeeperscripes wrote:Thanks Ryan! I hope I dont either, but I was taking into account a middle of the road exhaust, since I may sell in a year and downsize back to a 2 door. Lous, thats the place in Waltham? I also forgot to add I needed 4 hinges sanded and repainted.

Lou's has a dozen or so shops in New England, with the majority down in the Boston/North Shore area. They do performance stuff as well as middle-of-the-road and even stock exhausts. If you're really looking for a truly basic set up, places like Meineke and Monroe Muffler will also be able to do OEM/factory style for cheap (these will usually be clamp-on vs. the welded at Lou's.

Hinge sanding and painting can be done at any body shop for cheap money.
Ryan McKee
Ryan McKee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jeeperscripes 1/7/2013, 1:20 pm

My AutoBody guy in Chelsea wanted min $500 to do my hinges, so was just wondering if anyone knew a guy. I am really hoping to just send Gepetto away for a week and comeback all shiny and new!
jeeperscripes
jeeperscripes
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan McKee 1/7/2013, 3:00 pm

jeeperscripes wrote:My AutoBody guy in Chelsea wanted min $500 to do my hinges, so was just wondering if anyone knew a guy. I am really hoping to just send Gepetto away for a week and comeback all shiny and new!

I got a buddy in Reading that I know would do it for less than that. I can swing by and ask him. Can you post your paint code for me? And a photo of what exactly needs repair?
Ryan McKee
Ryan McKee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jeeperscripes 1/7/2013, 3:25 pm

AY111WS2, PS2

I'll get pics tonight, but its the rear door hinges, looks like just where they connect, the door to the body.

Thanks Ryan!
jeeperscripes
jeeperscripes
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  jeeperscripes 1/8/2013, 9:06 am

Exhaust Question Jeep_h12
jeeperscripes
jeeperscripes
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  jeeperscripes 1/8/2013, 9:07 am

Exhaust Question Jeep_h13
jeeperscripes
jeeperscripes
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  jeeperscripes 1/8/2013, 9:09 am

It looks like the only part that is rusted is the hinge that is attached to the frame, not the door. Ive never taken the doors off, so I wouldn't know for sure. Sorry for the ginormous pics, still having trouble with posting pics.

Let me know what your guy says.

Thanks again Ryan!!
jeeperscripes
jeeperscripes
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  janesy 1/8/2013, 10:38 am

What!? Never taken the doors off! Blasphemy!
janesy
janesy
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  jeeperscripes 1/8/2013, 10:48 am

I know! But these 4 doors are way more complicated to remove. I miss my TJ!
jeeperscripes
jeeperscripes
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  THOOPY3 1/8/2013, 3:47 pm

I wish any of my hinges looked that good. Shocked That's what 21 years of New England weather gets you though.

And since I'm here I'll also throw my backing behind Lou's if you do end up choosing them. They did the exhaust on my YJ and on my previous car and I've never had a problem. If I remember correctly they also guarantee their work for the life of the car so if something does wear out they'll replace it free of charge.
THOOPY3
THOOPY3
Moab Dessert

http://sorrygonecamping.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 1/8/2013, 4:04 pm

Leave the hinges there, remove the doors and have the remaining half sand blasted and paint them while they are in place.
Do it after winter is over and salt is gone.
Alot of dough to replace them for cosmetic reasons,
Just Sayin.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 1/9/2013, 12:12 pm

I understand your wanting clamping as opposed to welding with most systems, especially on a Jeep.

I welded mine thing it was superior, but when thing got dinged up and rusted and I want to replace things, I'm now starting to appreciate clamping.

If you have trouble getting the doors off to inspect the hinges (definitely do it after winter is done and salt is gone), you can borrow a hi-lift jack with a towel over it to lift it off the hinges.
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

http://www.geoffreymarsh.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jeeperscripes 1/9/2013, 12:25 pm

Right, that was my concern with the welding, though as much as I take it off road (never) it probably isn't that big of a deal.

Hows Texas? Give Dianne a big HIYAAA! for me!

The hinges aren't really a priority, more of an aesthetic thing, if I do end up selling, but I would rather not have to take all of them off to do, if it's something that can be easily done attached.
jeeperscripes
jeeperscripes
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 1/9/2013, 12:33 pm

jeeperscripes wrote:Right, that was my concern with the welding, though as much as I take it off road (never) it probably isn't that big of a deal.

Hows Texas? Give Dianne a big HIYAAA! for me!

It's not even just the off-road bit, though. Things in New England rust *fast* and sometimes certain parts of exhaust need to be replaced before others, so I just like knowing that I can pop one off and pop another right back on.

Texas is *awesome*. We are both really enjoying it and I realize I haven't posted any Texas Jeep pictures or anything about the drive. I should do that....
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

http://www.geoffreymarsh.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 1/9/2013, 1:33 pm

I have the stainless band clamps on my exhaust, they are the type like on some diesels.
They work awesome, they came with the stainless system.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  jeeperscripes 1/28/2013, 12:32 pm

So quote is $1400 for new cat for Gepetto. Apparently 2007 was a special year for Chrysler and the cat they made is a pain in the butt and costs about $1000.

I think its time to retire Gepetto after this.
jeeperscripes
jeeperscripes
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan McKee 1/28/2013, 12:42 pm

jeeperscripes wrote:So quote is $1400 for new cat for Gepetto. Apparently 2007 was a special year for Chrysler and the cat they made is a pain in the butt and costs about $1000.

I think its time to retire Gepetto after this.

$470 + shipping from rock auto

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3023160&cc=1433839
Ryan McKee
Ryan McKee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jeeperscripes 1/28/2013, 12:47 pm

The guy is telling me that its more complicated from that? This is the guy at Lous. He said he has to order it from Jeep directly? This emissions stuff is over my head. But I am waiting for him to call back. I will mention that to him again, because I told him I saw them online for $580 when he said it was $1000.

jeeperscripes
jeeperscripes
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan McKee 1/28/2013, 1:00 pm

Find a garage or wait till Warmer weather and there are a few of us who I'm sure would help install it.
Ryan McKee
Ryan McKee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jeeperscripes 1/28/2013, 1:04 pm

Yeah , got the scoop. He didn't want to guarantee an aftermarket exhaust. So I am buying the rock auto one and shipping it to him. Still going to cost me $800, but that for sure beats the $1400!!!

Thank you again Ryan, you are a lifesaver!!!!
jeeperscripes
jeeperscripes
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down