North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Axle Re-gearing

3 posters

Go down

Axle Re-gearing Empty Axle Re-gearing

Post  Haskie 1/9/2012, 4:36 pm

Well, looks like it was partially asked in Lanky's thread "98 tj rear axle assembly" but I'll give it a shot anyway:

I've been collecting the tools (and parts) to do a gear & carrier swap/upgrade on a pair of waggy axles; are any old timers out there that have pioneered this and can tell me some pointers? talking about things like back-lash, pinion bearing pre-load, pinion spacing and the like.

If not, I'd gladly offer up help with future mods with you guys, I'll have this figured out soon enough. going from 3.31 open to 4.88 OX locked. Smile

Haskie
Haskie
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Axle Re-gearing Empty Re: Axle Re-gearing

Post  Ryan McKee 1/9/2012, 10:45 pm

Haskie wrote:Well, looks like it was partially asked in Lanky's thread "98 tj rear axle assembly" but I'll give it a shot anyway:

I've been collecting the tools (and parts) to do a gear & carrier swap/upgrade on a pair of waggy axles; are any old timers out there that have pioneered this and can tell me some pointers? talking about things like back-lash, pinion bearing pre-load, pinion spacing and the like.

If not, I'd gladly offer up help with future mods with you guys, I'll have this figured out soon enough. going from 3.31 open to 4.88 OX locked. Smile

The only person who I think has re-geared himself is member jakes01234. But my memory may not be serving me right.

Also, Mark might have done it, or at least know how. Shoot him a PM by clicking the "Memberlist" at the top of the page. Nice guy, knows his stuff.
Ryan McKee
Ryan McKee
Admin

http://www.fellswaymedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ed060784 2/25/2012, 10:41 pm

hey haskie i just read your post, so let me be the first one to tell you that those old wagoneer axles are super tuff and work great and the OX locker is the BEST by far!! So here is some tech stuff that i hope it helps you when youre ready to start setting up the D44's, when changing the pinion depth whether is from repairs or a rebuild I always make large changes until the pattern is close(the specs should be in your installation kit manual). I consider 0.005” to 0.015” to be a large change and 0.002” to 0.004” to be a small change. Changes of 0.005” to 0.008” or more will lead to the correct pattern faster than small changes will. I purposely make adjustments that I know are moving the pinion too far. If I move the pinion too far and the pattern changes from one extreme to the other then I know that the correct pattern is somewhere between the two extremes. Once I get close to the correct pinion depth I make smaller changes until the pattern is centered between the face and the flank of the ring gear teeth. mmmmm oh yea make sure to check with the for the gear pattern (pinion depth) after you finish with your back-lashing so that your not to far out or to close in. Remember if you move the ring gear closer to the pinion you will decrease backlash but moving the ring gear farther away will increase backlash and last but not least make sure u torque everything to specs i think a D44 is 55 and 60lbs for your Ring Gear and the Cover !
wish you best of luck buddy and put up some pics LOL
ed060784
ed060784
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down