North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Catalytic Converter

+3
Ryan McKee
JaFra
jeeperscripes
7 posters

Go down

Catalytic Converter Empty Catalytic Converter

Post  jeeperscripes 1/30/2012, 9:50 am

So here we go round the mulberry bush!!! I just replaced my engine with a 2010 about a year ago and now seems its time to replace the converter. I feel I ended up with the money pit of all Wranglers. I have never had so many issues with my past Jeeps. Granted at 123k miles now and something was bound to go.
jeeperscripes
jeeperscripes
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Catalytic Converter Empty Re: Catalytic Converter

Post  JaFra 1/30/2012, 10:15 am

look at it like a perfect opportunity to get yourself a maganflo cat back exhaust system.
JaFra
JaFra
Admin

http://www.jafradesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jeeperscripes 1/30/2012, 10:55 am

Sure, I'll buy it, do you want to install it, for free Wink !!

Agree though, good time to upgrade.
jeeperscripes
jeeperscripes
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  JaFra 1/30/2012, 10:56 am

From what I understand, and I've never done this, installing an exhaust is supposedly really easy to do. I would help, and I won't charge if you want to do it.
JaFra
JaFra
Admin

http://www.jafradesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jeeperscripes 1/30/2012, 11:34 am

I was kidding, but thanks! They should be fairly easy to install unless there is some need for welding. I have a guy in Cambridge I think will not ream me with labor, so we will see. My CJ7 was at 220k and I never replaced. Between the rusting hinges and oil issues, I feel I got the lemon of the lot with this JKU. And of course, they added lifetime warranty 4 months after I purchased mine.
jeeperscripes
jeeperscripes
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan McKee 1/30/2012, 11:46 am

jeeperscripes wrote:I was kidding, but thanks! They should be fairly easy to install unless there is some need for welding. I have a guy in Cambridge I think will not ream me with labor, so we will see. My CJ7 was at 220k and I never replaced. Between the rusting hinges and oil issues, I feel I got the lemon of the lot with this JKU. And of course, they added lifetime warranty 4 months after I purchased mine.

1) exhausts are easy as cake. cat-back systems can be done without a welder, if you want to use exhaust clamps. You've also got a resource here of a ton of NSJ members that would be happy to help!

2) Magnaflow, Banks, etc. Lou's Custom is a great place if you don't want to do it yourself.

2.5) Rust is not a lemon-qualification. Nor are oil issues, or a cat failing. Over 100k miles puts the vehicle in a different ballpark, one where original equipment failure is expected. Be positive about it! Love the Jeep! Very Happy

We're here at the drop of a hat, just holler when you need help!
Ryan McKee
Ryan McKee
Admin

http://www.fellswaymedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan McKee 1/30/2012, 11:50 am

Also, if it makes you feel better, here are a few shots of my muffler from this fall. A WRECK at only 4 years old. I ended up ripping the muffler off while on a trail run, taking a sawzall and cutting the tail pipe off, and now only have a header/cat. Which has rust in the cat and leaks fumes and sounds like an 18-wheeler.

Life happens! I run less than half of an exhaust on a daily basis.

Catalytic Converter File-1822

Catalytic Converter File-537
Ryan McKee
Ryan McKee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jeeperscripes 1/30/2012, 12:09 pm

Thanks Ryan! Well I was having oil issues at like 58k miles. The rust was also very early. I never had issues with my 04, for whatever reason. But this JKU feels like every time I turn around its something else. But yes 123k miles is going to be cause for some part replacements. Its just sucking my well dry. My online shopping is now going to consist of parts vs JCrew sweaters! Ha!

I love Gepetto, I just sometimes want to strangle him.
jeeperscripes
jeeperscripes
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  ArticRubi 1/31/2012, 1:02 pm

JaFra wrote:look at it like a perfect opportunity to get yourself a maganflo cat back exhaust system.

Won't fix his cats on the JK. There are 3 pieces, the exhaust manifolds, the crossover and Y pipe section, and the cat back section. The cats (2 per side) are located in the crossover section. I'd say it is possible to cut them out and have new ones welded in, but I'd venture to say that would be as much $$ as just getting a factory replacement unit. I did an install of the RIPP long tube headers about 2 months ago, and its pretty easy. The header bolts towards the rear of the block are a bit of the pain, but with the right attachments for your ratchet set its not bad.

I'll be happy to give you a hand changing them out. Keep in mind: if your cats went out there's a good chance it has blown some the packing back into your muffler. So....even if you replace the cats there's a good chance it won't run well until you replace the muffler also. I'm running the MBRP cat back exhaust, it relocates the muffler to under the driver's seat where its much more protected. Didn't take me long to bash in the factory muffler with the rock crawling I like to do.
ArticRubi
ArticRubi
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Catalytic Converter Empty Reply with quote Re: Catalytic Converter

Post  Mark 2/4/2012, 6:19 am

4 wheel drive hardware has a stainless cat back made by magnaflow . Same as magnaflow. Made by magnaflow. Put on my tj , fit like a glove and sounds great.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Catalytic Converter Empty SS

Post  angri 2/4/2012, 11:05 am

I put a banks SS exhaust on my tj in December. Paid $230 and could not be happier. I live on the beach and hate replacing exhaust every couple years. I never install any exhaust that is not stainless. I also found when I installed it that my cat was hollow. I got a sticker last year with no problems so It is staying free flowing and empty.
angri
angri
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 2/28/2012, 9:57 am

Ryan M wrote:1) exhausts are easy as cake. cat-back systems can be done without a welder, if you want to use exhaust clamps. You've also got a resource here of a ton of NSJ members that would be happy to help!

We're here at the drop of a hat, just holler when you need help!

That statement is kind of ironic now, ha ha, after all the issues you just had with yours.

As previously stated, though, when the time comes, let us know and we'll be glad to help!
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

http://www.geoffreymarsh.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan McKee 2/29/2012, 9:00 am

CrawlingForward wrote:
Ryan M wrote:1) exhausts are easy as cake.

That statement is kind of ironic now

You're an ass santa
Ryan McKee
Ryan McKee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: