North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

70k JKU - things to check before new tires

3 posters

Go down

70k JKU - things to check before new tires Empty 70k JKU - things to check before new tires

Post  CrawlingForward 2/14/2014, 12:22 pm

Ok, so the Islander is about to turn over 70k this week and I've already got a new set of MTs to throw on, as this set is *just* about finished.

However, the existing set has a little bit of scalloping and it currently has a bit of steering wheel wobble.

So before I put on brand new tires, I want to make sure that there's no parts needing replacing that will ruin brand new tires.

Anything that I should check specifically? Track bar? Ball Joints?
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

http://www.geoffreymarsh.com

Back to top Go down

70k JKU - things to check before new tires Empty Re: 70k JKU - things to check before new tires

Post  Mark 2/14/2014, 2:41 pm

You've got it Geoff, Ball joints, tie rods, Track bar, Sway bar links, control arm bushings and Shocks.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

70k JKU - things to check before new tires Empty Re: 70k JKU - things to check before new tires

Post  CrawlingForward 2/17/2014, 12:00 pm

Awwwwwcrap.

Dianna got minor deathwobble on the way to work this morning.

Time to start checking.

This is my first time doing this.  What should I start with and where should I go from there?

Do the "observe while turning the steering wheel test"?
How do I check balljoints? (I've only done it with the knuckles removed.)
Shocks I just check by seeing how they absorb bounce, correct?  Nothing special there.
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 2/17/2014, 2:48 pm

sounds like a track bar bushing or tire balance, those are the usual culprits ,Believe it or not low tire air pressure can contribute to it also.
Place a floor jack under the axle tube as closes to knuckle as possible and lift the tire 2 inches or so off the ground,
then using a 3 or 4 foot bar pull up on bar and then let pressure off.

If a ball joint is bad tire will move up and down,(and possibly clunk) or tire might pull in and out at bottom or the top.

Tie rods,,place a pair of channel lock style pliers between top of tie rod and the nut/stud end and see if you can squeeze pliers and watch if the tie rod collapses ( it will ) but you can see if one is worse than the others.

And YES ,,Do the "observe while turning the steering wheel test"?
Also wheel left to right (short 1/4 turn quick strokes left to right) and observe track bar at both ends takes two persons to do that it might clunk if bad or you might see a sloppy bushing// also observe the track bar mounting bolt for looseness.
Keep us posted as to how you make out.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 2/17/2014, 2:56 pm

Mark wrote:sounds like a track bar bushing or tire balance, those are the usual culprits ,Believe it or not low tire air pressure can contribute to it also.
Place a floor jack under the axle tube as closes to knuckle as possible and lift the tire 2 inches or so off the ground,
then using a 3 or 4 foot bar pull up on bar and then let pressure off.

If a ball joint is bad tire will move up and down,(and possibly clunk) or tire might pull in and out at bottom or the top.

Tie rods,,place a pair of channel lock style pliers between top of tie rod and the nut/stud end and see if you can squeeze pliers and watch if the tie rod collapses ( it will ) but you can see if one is worse than the others.

And YES ,,Do the "observe while turning the steering wheel test"?
Also wheel left to right (short 1/4 turn quick strokes left to right) and observe track bar at both ends takes two persons to do that it might clunk if bad or you might see a sloppy bushing// also observe the track bar mounting bolt for looseness.
Keep us posted as to how you make out.

Awesome, thank you!

I also noticed some left over concrete-like mud clumps stuck in the wheels at lunch today, so there's a possibility that might be part of the most recent problem, but I still want to check everything out before throwing on the new tires!
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  AquilesT 2/20/2014, 4:26 pm

This is a great explanation of the front end as well as a step by step guide to diagnosing front end issues.
Death Wobble/front end checklist
AquilesT
AquilesT
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down