North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

YJ Issues listed

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

YJ Issues listed Empty YJ Issues listed

Post  Scarytallman 4/8/2014, 7:35 pm

Hello All,

Not to be a sad sack but I feeling a bit over my head atm. Here is what I am finding, can someone more experienced possible diagnose it for me and let me know what I am in for please?

Rear differential has a drip stream, possibly leaking. Not dripping visibly but a line of wet fluid residue can be traced to the bottom by the seams.

Under the tub directly below the middle of the two front seats there seems to be a wetness I can't identify. I am not aware of any lines that go directly through the center of the body.

The gas tanks builds significant pressure. I think it may be the fuel tank vent is clogged or kinked but I can't find it. Trying to find a video of someone checking it.

basically my question is should i not drive it till i can get to a shop and have them check it out?

Long day, pride crushed,

Thanks
Scarytallman
Scarytallman
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

YJ Issues listed Empty Re: YJ Issues listed

Post  Scarytallman 4/8/2014, 9:16 pm

ok think The Diff just needs to be resealed.
Scarytallman
Scarytallman
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  dongalonga 4/8/2014, 9:58 pm

Is the moisture anywhere near the exhaust? If so could be a leak.

The differential most likely needs to be resealed. Buy a lube locker gasket and be done with it.

The gas tank line can most likely be removed and checked for obstructions. I had a melted end section directly above the tank on my old TJ that cause a check engine light. I was lucky to find it as it was tucked way up there.
dongalonga
dongalonga
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Scarytallman 4/8/2014, 10:04 pm

the moisture is dead center of the tub. could be exhaust but its fairly by itself. I can take a picture tomorrow.

How did you get to the gas hose? I have jiggled them hoping it was just a kink but no luck. Would I have to drop the gas tank?

Thanks for getting back to me. Whiskey brought me back to earth now just trying to strategize.
Scarytallman
Scarytallman
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  dongalonga 4/8/2014, 10:42 pm

I had a body lift so I didn't have to drop the tank. Search over on jeep forum and see if anyone else had this issue. You may have to drop the tank.
dongalonga
dongalonga
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 4/9/2014, 12:46 pm

Scarytallman wrote:Rear differential has a drip stream, possibly leaking. Not dripping visibly but a line of wet fluid residue can be traced to the bottom by the seams.

Under the tub directly below the middle of the two front seats there seems to be a wetness I can't identify. I am not aware of any lines that go directly through the center of the body.

The gas tanks builds significant pressure. I think it may be the fuel tank vent is clogged or kinked but I can't find it. Trying to find a video of someone checking it.

basically my question is should i not drive it till i can get to a shop and have them check it out?

Diff leaking: no worries. Just check the level by opening the plug and sticking your finger in. If you can touch fluid, you're fine. If not, put some in. Either way, just throw some cardboard underneath when you park until you get around to dealing with it. *Super* easy to do.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/basic-diff-lube-maintenance-728231/
Definitely go with the lube-locker when you do. Makes life way easier.

In terms of the wetness, if you take a picture and post it we may be able to help. Chances are it's not a big deal. YJs are notorious for various undercarriage leaks. Best way to find them is just trace them up to their highest point. Most likely it's the transmission or transfer case.

Neither leak sounds very serious. The oil does a scary good job of spreading it out. Makes 2 drops cover a 6"x6" area.

If you're not seeing any drips on the floor, it's definitely not anything urgent enough to worry about until you're messing with something in that area anyhow.

What do you mean by the fuel tank pressure, btw? Does it "pffff" when you insert the nozzle at the gas station or something?

This thread shows the various tubing of the gas tank:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/how-fuel-tank-removal-981049/

You can see the two vents on either side that are connected by a t-fitting which then vents to a hardline that connects to the evap canister under the hood.

Dropping the gas tank is a *pita*, but it'd definitely a good DIY candidate that can be done in a driveway or backyard. If you do drop it, I'd recommend replacing the lines while you've got it out. Good preventative maintenance so it doesn't get old and crack and start spewing gasoline when you take it into Sears for an inspection.  Mad 
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

http://www.geoffreymarsh.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dongalonga 4/9/2014, 1:03 pm

And for obvious reasons make sure thank tank is damn near empty when you drop it.
dongalonga
dongalonga
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Scarytallman 4/9/2014, 1:19 pm

Seems my last post didnt post.

The tank pressure is when i open the gas cap after driving. Until I can sort it out I got a pre-vent Cap that i will leave cracked to avoid to much build up. I am hopefully also doing the fuel filter tonight as it looks like it has been there a while. On a somewhat bittersweet note the filter skid plate is missing so its easy to access but but on the bad side i cant seem to find a replacement.

I am going to change the fluid in the differential and redo the gasket. Probably also been a while.

I never was good with fixing car but I am sure going to learn now it seems. Good thing these are so damn fun to drive. If i only knew how to weld i would be in a much better position. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

Scarytallman
Scarytallman
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 4/9/2014, 1:36 pm

That's the spirit!

I had to have someone walk me through changing the oil when I bought mine, and must have watched like 30 youtube videos on it before I got comfortable, ha ha. We all have to start somewhere.

I think the '95s didn't come with that skid plate, btw. Possibly they ran out at the factory and decided not to order more since they were retooling for the TJs. Dunno. But mine didn't have one either and definitely came that way from the factory.
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Scarytallman 4/10/2014, 11:07 am

Did the filter last night. Took me 4 hours. I had to hack saw the bolt from the bracket. It was rust welded to itself. Then I had to replace one of the hoses and they are something else to get back on the metal fuel line. I finally got it attached but it doesnt sit flat in the bracket and I couldnt get the over top latch back on. So I said eff it and just bolted it tight in the front. Its not going any where. o..O hopefully. If I ever get it on a lift or even jack stands i will take another crack at seating it properly.

Has anyone had the issue of their manual popping out of gear? Is it really as simple as the boot being the problem? internut research most common answer.

Thanks!
Scarytallman
Scarytallman
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 4/10/2014, 2:55 pm

Which line did you replace? the 90 degree turn elbow towards the rear of the filer?

Oh, and I've never had a problem with it popping out of gear. Could be the boot (you can pull it off to check), but could also be a broken spring holding the detent ball.
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Scarytallman 4/10/2014, 3:03 pm

Just the straight line after, that was enough. The bent line wasnst as badly rotted but will have to replace next time.

I am hoping its just boot because it not as bad when the car warmed in the sun for a bit.
Scarytallman
Scarytallman
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 4/10/2014, 3:12 pm

Does it pop out of gear when under acceleration  or while juts tooling along,, or when you let off the gas pedal?
What gear does it pop out of ?
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Scarytallman 4/10/2014, 3:17 pm

mostly 2nd gear. Its hard to shift into sometimes. I push it there and it wont stay, i let go and it fly out like a spring. Sometimes its hard to get into gear too. I cant tell if there is an obstruction around the shifter or the transmission but they are no funny sounds so i don't think it the transmission. Come to think of it, it only has love for 3rd and 5th gear the rest can be tricky.
Scarytallman
Scarytallman
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  THOOPY3 4/10/2014, 3:57 pm

Scarytallman wrote:mostly 2nd gear. Its hard to shift into sometimes. I push it there and it wont stay, i let go and it fly out like a spring. Sometimes its hard to get into gear too. I cant tell if there is an obstruction around the shifter or the transmission but they are no funny sounds so i don't think it the transmission. Come to think of it, it only has love for 3rd and 5th gear the rest can be tricky.

This sort of sounds like a lift issue to me. I've come across things on the various forums about not being able to get into gear properly after the installation of a body lift. Does yours have one? Sometimes the added distance doesn't allow the shifter to seat properly (as in all the way back) and prevents you from getting into gears that require you to pull back on the shifter without it popping out. Usually that can be remedied by a little slicey-slicey of the floor board at the back of the shift boot.

I've also had instances where mine pops out of second but that's only ever happened in the dead of winter on freezing cold mornings, and once I have it driving for a little bit if never reoccurs.
THOOPY3
THOOPY3
Moab Dessert

http://sorrygonecamping.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scarytallman 4/10/2014, 4:08 pm

I have small 2 inch lift at the shackles done by the PO.
Scarytallman
Scarytallman
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  THOOPY3 4/10/2014, 4:42 pm

Definitely not because of a body lift then. Not much advice I can offer other than that, haha.
THOOPY3
THOOPY3
Moab Dessert

http://sorrygonecamping.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scarytallman 4/10/2014, 4:45 pm

i'll just get stronger arms and push harder. That'll do her.
Scarytallman
Scarytallman
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 4/10/2014, 5:25 pm

That's a good point about checking clearance though once the boot is off.

There's a bunch of different reasons why it could not be aligning correctly including body lifts, transmission swaps, broken mounts, etc.

Most aren't that likely, but it's worth a check as long as the boot is off and you can see.
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Scarytallman 4/11/2014, 8:55 am

Thanks Ill have to figure out how to get he boot off and see whats up.
Scarytallman
Scarytallman
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 4/11/2014, 9:29 am

Does the jeep have a transfer case lowering / drop kit in it?
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Scarytallman 4/11/2014, 10:21 am

I honestly don't know or how to tell.
Scarytallman
Scarytallman
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 4/11/2014, 10:23 am

Is there a space, spacer or spacers, between the frame and the skid plate that holds up the trans and transfer case ?

Last edited by Mark on 4/11/2014, 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Scarytallman 4/11/2014, 10:25 am

Yes I think there may be a rusted red piece of metal between the frame and the skid plate maybe an inch thick. The metal of the skid plate is not flush with the frame.
Scarytallman
Scarytallman
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 4/11/2014, 10:30 am

There is a chance that is messing up the second gear,, if the shifter is coming in contact with the floor plate or shifter boot base it won't be able to go all of the way in gear.
That would affect second, fourth and reverse.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next