North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

psi - what do you prefer?

+5
Tonellin
Posimoto
dongalonga
AquilesT
jku87
9 posters

Go down

psi - what do you prefer? Empty psi - what do you prefer?

Post  jku87 6/9/2015, 8:57 pm

Just curious as to what you guys air down to when you hit the trails. I'm running 33" pizza cutters and was thinking that 20 psi should be sufficient? Thanks in advance.

Corey
jku87
jku87
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

psi - what do you prefer? Empty Re: psi - what do you prefer?

Post  AquilesT 6/9/2015, 9:15 pm

35" and normally air down to about 15
AquilesT
AquilesT
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  dongalonga 6/9/2015, 10:34 pm

Depends where you're wheeling. Most trails don't necessitate airing down. Some do and some do more than others.
dongalonga
dongalonga
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Posimoto 6/10/2015, 9:11 am

10 front, 8 rear
Posimoto
Posimoto
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonellin 6/10/2015, 9:49 am

8 to 10 psi - not only is the traction amazingly better the lower you go but the ride is way softer. Also depends on what tire you're running. Some lower ply tires will flex nicely without needing to drop very far. Generally anything above 15 psi doesn't do much since it only takes 12-15 psi to get a full contact patch for the streets
Tonellin
Tonellin
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan McKee 6/10/2015, 5:33 pm

MTR/Ks - easy/moderate trail, 18-20 psi ... difficult trail, 10-12 psi.
Ryan McKee
Ryan McKee
Admin

http://www.fellswaymedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  janesy 6/10/2015, 8:52 pm

Tonellin wrote:8 to 10 psi - not only is the traction amazingly better the lower you go but the ride is way softer.

This. I will never wheel anywhere with pressure over say 12. Rattle your teeth out, feeling every little pebble. Have my auto deflators set for 9. Hell, I only air up to 24ish for the street.
janesy
janesy
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  desertzj 6/14/2015, 9:28 am

janesy wrote:
Tonellin wrote:8 to 10 psi - not only is the traction amazingly better the lower you go but the ride is way softer.

This. I will never wheel anywhere with pressure over say 12. Rattle your teeth out, feeling every little pebble. Have my auto deflators set for 9. Hell, I only air up to 24ish for the street.

Same, Ill usually drop to 10-12 for trails, street I'm 24 front and 20ish rear
desertzj
desertzj
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 6/16/2015, 1:38 pm

It's really hard to say because there's no number that will work for everyone, or even for one person every time.

The biggest factors to consider are the tires you have and the rig you have. If you have a wide tire, you'll likely want a lower pressure than a skinny tire, everything else equal. If you have a light rig, you'll want a lower pressure than a heavy rig, everything else equal. If it's a technical, bouldery trail, you'll probably want a lower pressure than a smooth trail or the street.

For a TJ on 33x12.5 Duratracs, I have ~15-18 psi on the street (higher in the front than the back) and 5-10 psi on the trail (usually the same or a little lower in the front than the back). I let air out until the sidewall has a good amount of flat to it. I define "a good amount" by what feels right in the moment, based heavily on wind speed/direction and the time of high tide on that particular day. lol!
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum