North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winch Decison Help

+3
janesy
Tonellin
dongalonga
7 posters

Go down

Winch Decison Help Empty Winch Decison Help

Post  dongalonga 10/8/2013, 8:33 pm

Ok I am going to try to get a winch put on before the OFR trip. I am debating between these two winches:

http://www.rockridge4wd.com/ENGO-E-Series-E9000-Winch-W-Cable-p/en77-09000.htm

http://www.rockridge4wd.com/ENGO-E-Series-E9000S-Winch-W-Rope-p/en77-09000s.htm

Is it really worth the money for the synthetic line? I will be getting a cover. Here is the mount I will be using:

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-jk-winch-mounting-plate-1173.html
dongalonga
dongalonga
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Winch Decison Help Empty Re: Winch Decison Help

Post  Tonellin 10/8/2013, 9:36 pm

I've read a lot of good things about Engo winches - no personal experience though.

Are you on JeepForum? Contact 'JeepAddOnsChris' for a great price

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/engo-winch-sale-engo-winches-only-275-free-shipping-1238320/index20.html
Tonellin
Tonellin
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  janesy 10/9/2013, 6:57 am

My Engo hasn't let me down yet. I've mostly used it to help others and to upright rigs that have flopped/rolled.

For the price I'd say its worth it, but I wouldn't mind having one a bit faster.

As for synthetic/wire, thats a tough one. I really would like synthetic for the safety and easy to handle aspect, but I wheel in a lot of rocks, big and sharp some of them, so with the wire I don't have to worry much about it rubbing while winching. So I'm still on the fence for now.
janesy
janesy
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 10/9/2013, 8:18 am

Started out with steel wire, went to synthetic rope used it a couple/few times and took it right off.
I used it in dry, wet and semi muddy conditions with a non roller fair lead and it looks like the life expectancy of the rope was going to be very short.

Tore the protective sleeve to shreds on the first pull and the rope is now fuzzy/fraying from the grit of the dirt, and mud being pulled across the non roller fair lead and destroying the rope like sand paper,it was quite obvious and very noticeable.
You can run a roller fair lead with syn rope but in the end one little cut in the rope and it's all over anyways and that is very easy to do without even knowing it.

If you are going to use on rocks, mud, dirt or sand then I suggest a steel cable.
I'm running a Super winch EPI9.0 With 125 foot steel cable and it has never skipped a beat.

MY OPINION,,, from the experiences that I have had with syn rope and steel cable.
The rope is extremely over priced and it does have it's place but that place isn't on my winch.

I'm sure someone else will tell you that syn rope is better but that's what makes the world go round.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake 10/9/2013, 8:39 am

One thing to think about is that quality american made winches seem to last forever and hold extremely good resale value.

Been looking at winches myself and the engo looks promising but I'd almost rather spend a few hundred more for a superwinch or a warn. Keep in mind that that lower end superwinches are made in China, though I'd like to think the QC is on par with the rest of superwinch.
Jake
Jake
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 10/9/2013, 8:45 am

I got my winch for under 600 when they just started to get popular, the same model is a bit more now.
The one that I have is made in Connecticut in the good old USA.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonellin 10/9/2013, 9:04 am

hobhayward wrote:One thing to think about is that quality american made winches seem to last forever and hold extremely good resale value.

Been looking at winches myself and the engo looks promising but I'd almost rather spend a few hundred more for a superwinch or a warn. Keep in mind that that lower end superwinches are made in China, though I'd like to think the QC is on par with the rest of superwinch.
One thing to be careful about when looking to purchase from an American company like Warn is that while their top of the line M series winches are made and assembled in USA (Oregon?) their entry level VR series that sell for around $500 or so are made in China, assembled in USA.

Not saying the VR series isn't a great winch - it still comes with the Warn warranty but you can no longer say I want to buy American and then go get a VR8000
Tonellin
Tonellin
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 10/9/2013, 9:21 am

No matter where they are made they are all ok until it breaks.
Support the USA, buy local if possible.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 10/9/2013, 9:50 am

Mark,

Awesome info on the synthetic line. I didn't know that, and had been considering it as a future upgrade. Looks like I should focus instead on maintaining my steel cable.

I got this winch:

http://truckandwinch.com/tuff-stuff-classic-12500-lb-winch.html

and it has be nothing but awesome.

There is a waterproof version for a little bit more money, which is what I actually MEANT to buy, but I screwed up. Mine's gotten soaked and it still works fine.
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 10/9/2013, 10:59 am

Bottom line for any winch, I think, is that it'll last as well as the care you put into it.

Even a Smittybilt will serve you well and for years if you don't push it past it's intended weight, spool the full cable in and out every other month to keep gears lubricated, put tension of the wire every few months to disperse the core lubricant, WD40 any needed spots, and keep your spool of wire neatly coiled so that it won't pinch or kink under tension.

That being said, that much maintenance is a PITA, so if you spend the money for a better winch, you'll have more confidence to know it'll work even if you skip the maintenance for the most part (as most of us do).
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

http://www.geoffreymarsh.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 10/9/2013, 11:56 am

X2 GEOFF!!
Thank's Rob, just saying what i'm seeing.
As far as what brand to purchase goes, buy what you believe is the right one for your needs.
Overkill on the weight rating is always a good idea and you have made a good chioce in that department.
Be safe and always use a weighted blanket or something to hang on the cable in the event of a cable or connection failure.

Last edited by Mark on 10/9/2013, 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake 10/9/2013, 12:02 pm

Tonellin wrote:
hobhayward wrote:One thing to think about is that quality american made winches seem to last forever and hold extremely good resale value.

One thing to be careful about when looking to purchase from an American company like Warn is that while their top of the line M series winches are made and assembled in USA (Oregon?) their entry level VR series that sell for around $500 or so are made in China, assembled in USA.

Not saying the VR series isn't a great winch - it still comes with the Warn warranty but you can no longer say I want to buy American and then go get a VR8000
Good to know! I wasn't aware of that.
Jake
Jake
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  dongalonga 10/9/2013, 12:04 pm

Wow great info here as always. It's nice to get real world local experience. Especially when it saves you a ton of money. I will skip the synthetic line for sure. I'm anal about maintenance so no worries.
dongalonga
dongalonga
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum