North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need YJ Trans Skid

2 posters

Go down

Need YJ Trans Skid Empty Need YJ Trans Skid

Post  CrawlingForward 10/21/2012, 12:21 pm

Help please!

I bent my stock skid so badly on this last run that my rear driveshaft ground a hole through the floor before I could get to pavement and pull it, ha ha.

Does anyone have a YJ skid lying around that I could have/buy? Or know of any leads to getting one?
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

http://www.geoffreymarsh.com

Back to top Go down

Need YJ Trans Skid Empty Re: Need YJ Trans Skid

Post  CrawlingForward 10/21/2012, 12:22 pm

I should probably explain the reason for my panic: I need to drive to Texas in the YJ in less than 30 days....
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  ArticRubi 10/22/2012, 2:53 pm

Not sure if you saw the reply on the BSJ forum, pretty easy fix for a bent skid.

Pic first:

Need YJ Trans Skid 30312DF3-B73D-4995-8301-EE081D516307-10541-00000844FABE2BD7

Bottle jack in the center of the bend. In my case I had to weld a couple of U-bolts on for a place to attach the chain, you should be able to use the bolt holes where the skid attaches to the frame.

If you have some scrap angle laying around, it'll be a great time to add some gussets to the skid.
ArticRubi
ArticRubi
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 10/22/2012, 3:06 pm

Yup, thanks Duncan!

I unfortunately don't have a chain or bottle jack right now, ha ha, so Kurt is going to help me bend it back. I posted some more pictures on BSJ, but it seems like I just bend the mounting surface for the transmission mount. (The bolts are now recessed. They weren't before this weekend, ha ha).

I'm thinking it's probably worth replacing the transmission mount at the same time. (And the trashed rear u-joint too). YJs....bankrupting you $30 at a time.
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down