North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

08' JK (Khalipa) Build

+2
Ryan McKee
milesperhr
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

08' JK (Khalipa) Build - Page 2 Empty Re: 08' JK (Khalipa) Build

Post  Ryan McKee 11/11/2012, 2:27 pm

milesperhr wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't have that tool.
It's also really tough without a lift to do any of this work. Neutral

PB Blaster is an aerosol applied liquid similar to WD-40, difference being that WD-40 is a lubricant and PB is a penetrating product. It will work to break down rust and seized bolts before you attempt to loosen them. $3-5 at the local Auto parts store and Home Depot.

Wait till you've swapped axles and transfer cases with no lift... that's a party.
Ryan McKee
Ryan McKee
Admin

http://www.fellswaymedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  milesperhr 11/11/2012, 3:43 pm

Ryan M wrote:
milesperhr wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't have that tool.
It's also really tough without a lift to do any of this work. Neutral

PB Blaster is an aerosol applied liquid similar to WD-40, difference being that WD-40 is a lubricant and PB is a penetrating product. It will work to break down rust and seized bolts before you attempt to loosen them. $3-5 at the local Auto parts store and Home Depot.

Wait till you've swapped axles and transfer cases with no lift... that's a party.

ahhhh thank you for the clarification, Ryan!
That should definitely help.

Still don't know if I trust myself to start working on the control arm plates. Can you do those without a lift?

Thanks,

-Miles
milesperhr
milesperhr
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan McKee 11/11/2012, 4:30 pm

Honestly not sure what you mean by "control arm plates". The only control arm skids I'm aware of are weld-on. Unless on JKs you have the options of bolting... perhaps pics could help us out.

Also! I'm going to move this over to a build thread instead of the introduction area since we're getting some work done on your Jeep now!
Ryan McKee
Ryan McKee
Admin

http://www.fellswaymedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  milesperhr 11/11/2012, 4:35 pm

Ryan M wrote:Honestly not sure what you mean by "control arm plates". The only control arm skids I'm aware of are weld-on. Unless on JKs you have the options of bolting... perhaps pics could help us out.

Also! I'm going to move this over to a build thread instead of the introduction area since we're getting some work done on your Jeep now!

They do have bolt on Skid plates for the JK. In fact, the evap, control arm, and oil pan skid plates are all bolt on.

I'll start a new thread in the Build list. Thanks!
milesperhr
milesperhr
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 11/13/2012, 10:32 am

You've definitely got the right idea in terms of a build! Start with armor and protecting it and things that don't affect drivabilitty, *then* move on to bigger lift/tires, etc.

And in terms of PB Blaster....yeah, a can of that is the most valuable tool I own, ha ha.

The next most valuable tool you should look into is a good 1/2" breaker bar!
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-1-2-in-dr-18-in-flex-handle/p-00944202000P

08' JK (Khalipa) Build - Page 2 00944202000-1?hei=600&wid=600&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0

Less than $30, but worth it's weight in gold.

You want to get off stubborn bolts: PB Blaster and a breaker bar will get you 90% of what you need to do. Often times it's broken loose bolts that even my impact wouldn't do.
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

http://www.geoffreymarsh.com

Back to top Go down

Post  milesperhr 11/13/2012, 4:56 pm

CrawlingForward wrote:You've definitely got the right idea in terms of a build! Start with armor and protecting it and things that don't affect drivabilitty, *then* move on to bigger lift/tires, etc.

And in terms of PB Blaster....yeah, a can of that is the most valuable tool I own, ha ha.

The next most valuable tool you should look into is a good 1/2" breaker bar!

Less than $30, but worth it's weight in gold.

You want to get off stubborn bolts: PB Blaster and a breaker bar will get you 90% of what you need to do. Often times it's broken loose bolts that even my impact wouldn't do.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip.

I may also need some help installing a winch once I pick one of those up.
milesperhr
milesperhr
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2