North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skid Plate Recommendations

+2
Mark
tonyf20
6 posters

Go down

Skid Plate Recommendations Empty Skid Plate Recommendations

Post  tonyf20 4/21/2013, 11:23 pm

I've got an '04 Rubicon and am ready to start putting some skid plates on. i'm going to have to do it in sections due to $$. Any recommendations? I'm thinking i would start with the gas tank, oil pan, and either go with a diff glider or a steering box plate.

I know the rubicon has a plate under there stock.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Tony
tonyf20
tonyf20
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Skid Plate Recommendations Empty Re: Skid Plate Recommendations

Post  Ryan McKee 4/22/2013, 6:45 am

Gas tank? Savvy. $330ish, all aluminum. Best skid out there.

Steering box? Doesn't matter much, but don't pay over $50 and be sure to message most vendors about forum discounts through JeepForum/WranglerForum.

Diff covers? SOLID. Only company I'll buy.

Oil Pan? Honestly, spend the money and get the UnderCover Fab or Savvy complete skid system to cover from the transfercase to the front of the oil pan. They're the best and most complete systems on the market, available in all aluminum (my UCF skid system is 48lbs total). Ask me or Nick (janesy) about either... as he runs the Savvy one.

Ryan McKee
Ryan McKee
Admin

http://www.fellswaymedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 4/22/2013, 10:09 am

Use your own discretion here, buy what you want and what you can afford.

The diff cover I had listed is fine, even though I do have a Solid brand cover. the Riddler differential cover is great, smooth with no sharp edges and no side lip.

As far as the gas tank skid goes , you have a daily driver and in the long run I do not know how the salt affects the aluminum, especially between the tank and skid where you can't see. so that is why I listed the Warn skid
Yes the aluminum one is much lighter than the steel one..and is very strong.
If I do purchase a new one it will be aluminum, but my jeep is only used 3 seasons and never sees salt.

Steering box skid,, buy what you want.

Trans skid,, buy what you can afford. the savvy requires a SYE and you may not want to go that route,,, I DON'T KNOW.
I do know that the factory trans skid on 03 to 06 is lower than the 97 to 02 and that is something that I would definitely do something about. It is like a big scoop and they get bashed and hung up a lot .

I Would get the rustys radiator skid, It is the best one out there. Mine saved my radiator from many sticks and branches destroying it.

In the end, one thing leads to another and another and so on.

Last edited by Mark on 4/22/2013, 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyf20 4/22/2013, 10:38 am

Awesome! Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I'm going to do it in sections due to financial constraints.

Any suggestions on who I could go to to have these installed? I'm not the best "do it yourselfer" as much as I would like to be! Just don't have much mechanical experience.

Thanks again, everyone!

Tony
tonyf20
tonyf20
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan McKee 4/22/2013, 11:05 am

tonyf20 wrote: as much as I would like to be! Just don't have much mechanical experience.

That's where a community like this comes in. Ask for help, and I can guarantee you'll have members who will show up to assist and teach, and have you pick up a few tricks and tools along the way. Typical reimbursement is a pizza lunch and a beer or two. Use the benefits of a group like we have here, and save yourself the $2-300 it'd cost to have skids installed at a local shop ("local shop" referring to a Jeep friendly place that has a clue about aftermarket accessories).

We're here to help!
Ryan McKee
Ryan McKee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyf20 4/22/2013, 12:08 pm

Wow!!! That would be incredible!!! I'd love for someone to show me how to do this stuff!

If anyone is interested in helping me some weekend-just let me know! Beers? No problem! Pizza-sure, but is go even farther and throw some steak tips and sausage on the grill!

Just let me know who'd be down! Heck-I'd even throw some cash your way just to gain some knowledge!

Tony
tonyf20
tonyf20
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  dongalonga 4/22/2013, 12:31 pm

I would be more than happy to help. The savvy system is my recommendation for a full skid system.
dongalonga
dongalonga
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan McKee 4/22/2013, 12:54 pm

I'm happy to help as well, not sure if that came across in my last post. I travel for work, but when I'm around I'm always looking for things to do (especially if they're Jeep related!) Make a few purchases and start rounding people up.
Ryan McKee
Ryan McKee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 4/22/2013, 1:27 pm

Aw man, I typed up a whole thing and it didn't post.

Gist of it:

I second what Mark said about the domino affect. Doing the full system can lead to motor mount lifts and body lifts and transmission mounts and slip yoke eliminators and therefore adjustable control arms, etc. etc.

To start simple, a gas tank skid is definitely a good start, especially if yours is rusting away, as many of ours are. If it's not, it can wait. The stock one does a pretty good job.

A great place to start is diff cover. High priority and one of the cheaper upgrades (relatively speaking). I have SOLID and Riddler, but most any reputable company's covers will work. Just make sure to research gas tank and tie-rod clearance. (Ask me how I know)

Skid Plate Recommendations 431534_10100457726968336_195103687_n

Steering box skid? No idea. YJ's don't have that issue (shackles and leafs protect it for us)

The next priority in my opinion, is the oil pan. Denting a transfer case or transmission or diff sucks, but denting or puncturing an oil pan can leave you high and dry, and possibly endanger the bottom end of your engine.

Once you start playing in the rocks (especially when you start pushing yourself because your Rubi has lockers and rock rails which lets you do some *amazing* stuff) you are putting you oil pan in serious danger. (Ask me how I know)

Skid Plate Recommendations 253071_10100758473489896_1262527004_n

Granted, I drove from Boston to Texas with that oil pan and no problems yet, but it jumped full armor *way* up on my priority list.

You can buy skids just for the oil pan which work great or you can do the full system. The full system is expensive, but if it's in you budget, it's one of the better purchases you can make for your Jeep. $800ish bucks, but you can gain 2" or 3" (separate from a lift) and get the peace of mind knowing you're protected. I'm looking into the UFC system, myself.
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

http://www.geoffreymarsh.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dongalonga 4/22/2013, 4:41 pm

The new savvy modular kit allows you to add as you can afford it.
dongalonga
dongalonga
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyf20 4/22/2013, 6:16 pm

awesome tips by all thank you!

based on everyone's responses- it sounds like a good (and economical) way for me to start would be to cover the oil pan, diff cover, radiator, and steering box. Do i need to cover the front and rear axle? I know my stock rubicon has a Dana 44- is that just the rear axle or is the front axle too? (again- i am a mechanical moron).

i'm doing some internet searching now. just not sure about the axle thing and the diff covers.

Tony
tonyf20
tonyf20
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 4/22/2013, 6:19 pm

Rubicons have a Dana44 both front and rear (most other models are different, but you have the jealousy-inducing 44).

If it's a matter of budget, front is typically more important. You run into a whole lot more things with the front than rolling back into things in the rear.
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 4/22/2013, 6:21 pm

Oh, and if you swap out diff covers, * definitely* get a set of LubeLocker diff gaskets to go along with it.

I hate RTV. I hate scraping and the mess and the goop and all of it. Using a LubeLocker gasket means that (after you initially scrape off the old RTV), you'll have a bone-dry seal that you can reuse indefinitely!
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  dongalonga 4/23/2013, 12:15 pm

+1 on lubelockers! I loved mine. If I ever pop the diff covers off of my Rubicon, I will be putting some in.
dongalonga
dongalonga
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down