North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Off-trail camping in New Hampshire

3 posters

Go down

Off-trail camping in New Hampshire Empty Off-trail camping in New Hampshire

Post  THOOPY3 8/5/2013, 12:37 pm

Hey everyone, I'm checking to see if anyone knows of/has info on possible off-trail camping spots in New Hampshire. It seems that a Class VI road that I've wheeled on and camped in Gilford (Liberty Hill Road to be exact) is apparently private property now, closed off by residents who are angry at the entire "Jeep community" for the actions of all four wheelers. I don't get it either. That being said, I'm not looking to get in trouble with any authorities or trigger-happy townsfolk so if anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it. I had planned a big camping trip with a bunch of my buddies for September but just came across this information, so now I'm on the hunt for a new spot.

I'm going to go to REI after work and pick up a copy of the New Hampshire Atlas and Gazetteer, which rumor has it shows all the Class VI roads and plenty of hiking trails. I've found another location in Gilford that I may go scout with a buddy of mine that is also Class VI that doesn't seem to be closed, but I won't know until I get there. I'm trying to stay as close to there as possible because our plan was to hike the trails of Belknap Mountain which is in Gilford.
THOOPY3
THOOPY3
Moab Dessert

http://sorrygonecamping.com

Back to top Go down

Off-trail camping in New Hampshire Empty Re: Off-trail camping in New Hampshire

Post  Rob Cote 8/9/2013, 9:03 am

Definitely in (work/move permitting) for some Jeeping, camping and hiking.
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  THOOPY3 8/13/2013, 9:44 am

I'm totally down for a bunch of us going, problem is I started this thread because I don't know where to go haha. Do you Rob (or anyone else) know any legal spots to do all that? The place I stayed early in 2012 is now apparently off limits and strictly enforced private property. I was thinking of going up to that same area (Gilford/Laconia) at some point in the next couple weekends to do some scouting on other Class VI roads, and obviously the more the merrier.
THOOPY3
THOOPY3
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 8/13/2013, 9:50 am

Well anywhere along the Kanc is good to camp then we could go off Bear Notch Rd. in the experimental forest. As far as I know that is totally legal. It's just dirt roads and there are some swimming holes and such. Tons of day hikes around there too.
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  THOOPY3 8/13/2013, 10:40 am

That sounds right up my alley. I'm not sure whereabouts in New Hampshire that is, but as long as it's not private land I'm all for it. Do you have an exact location or is it just kinda one of those places you have to know? The trip I had originally planned out is going to either be Labor Day weekend (Aug. 30 - Sept. 1) or the following weekend (Sept. 6-Cool. Would either of those weekends work for you Rob? I would imagine we could get some interest from others here in the club as well.
THOOPY3
THOOPY3
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 8/13/2013, 11:51 am

The sixth-seventh might, but you should go even if I can't make it. Bear Notch Road closes in the winter, but should be open at least to October. Turn left off the Kancamagus (if you're heading east, coming from rt. 93) and the dirt road will be on the left. There's a sign saying something about experimental forest. I was in there last summer and passed some official-looking people and no one seemed to care. There are several campgrounds (state parks) all along the Kancamagus that are awesome.
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 8/13/2013, 5:29 pm

Went snowmobiling there many times years ago. and have driven the roads in the experimental forest in summer and fall.
Bear notch road has some viewing turn offs with some great picture postcard views in fall.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 8/14/2013, 12:21 pm

So it's on for the weekend of the 6-7th?
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  THOOPY3 8/14/2013, 2:31 pm

Yeah man, that's my goal. I've got at least two people coming with me in my Jeep, and possibly 2-4 others in a stock '09 Liberty (I know, I know). My plan was to take that Friday off and head up early in the day to get everything set up, and then the others would probably meet up with us later in the day. Would that situation work for you? I was also considering maybe going to All Wheels in Maine as an alternative, since the trip to the White Mountains and the trip to All Wheels are basically the same time/distance. The problem is our plan was to go hiking and such, and I'm not sure if there are any hiking trails around there. I can make a separate thread on here as well to see if anyone else would be interested.
THOOPY3
THOOPY3
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 8/14/2013, 2:33 pm

I'd probably head up Saturday after work. Arrive mid-afternoon and wheel. Hike on Sunday then go home. Don't mind my late arrival.
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down