North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

all over the road

5 posters

Go down

all over the road Empty all over the road

Post  bigmike 10/17/2013, 3:10 pm

So tranny is in back up and running but she's all over the road not sure if it's ball joints, , tires, or something in the steering. Anyone have this issue. Im going to the shop to hopefully find the answer to this problem.
bigmike
bigmike
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

all over the road Empty Re: all over the road

Post  Tonellin 10/17/2013, 3:38 pm

Could be so many things...best to start narrowing it down by checking stuff you can do in the driveway in a couple minutes with someone doing a steering test.  I would check for excessive play in the tie rod/draglink/control arm bushings/trackbar then jack the wheels up and check the ball joints

Then I'd check the toe-in to make sure you're alignment is okay (do you have adj control arms?).  Followed by getting my tires balanced because that's the first thing that should cost money to do.  I had a wandering that got better after I balanced my tires, it was still slightly there after the balancing so I made sure my toe-in was exactly 1/16 and it drives straight as an arrow now

Was anything recently done to the jeep besides rebuild of tranny?
Tonellin
Tonellin
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 10/17/2013, 3:53 pm

Mike, was it ok before the surgery?
Body lifts can/does affect the upper steering shaft joint angle, especially if shaft jionts are NG.
Happened to me when I put mine in.
The shafts were NG...took BL out and got 2 borgeson steering shafts. HAPPY EVER SINCE.
Ball joints don't just wear out while the transmission is being worked on, nor does the toe change.
WHAT ELSE DID YOU DO TO IT?
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  bigmike 10/17/2013, 6:55 pm

So after being at the shop jacked it up. I have a steering box issue but I installed it 2 years ago. My u joints on the axles are on thier way out. I replaced passenger side ball joints last winter but not the driver side. There is alot of play in the wheel almost a quarter turn. It had play in it before the work maybe I didn't notice how much. I NEED A NEW RIG OR HIT THE LOTTERY IT NEVER ENDS

JUST
EMPTY
EVERY
POCKET
bigmike
bigmike
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake 10/17/2013, 9:50 pm

Mines a little drifty but I assume its the caster angle because the LCAs are non-adjustable and the PO added what I believe are 2" spacers to the 4.5" RC lift. I can spin the wheel from lock to lock with one finger, and it doesn't exactly self center like you'd expect.
Jake
Jake
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 10/17/2013, 11:07 pm

Why do you say that you have a steering box issue?
Common on those is the pitman arm to steering box nut loosening up. Check it.
Check the u joints on the steering shafts and the lower shaft to frame mounting bracket bushing.
Check The pinch bolt at steering box to lower shaft and at the steering column to upper shaft under the dash.
Lower tack bar mounting bolt loose?
Steering box NG = install a durango box, cheap, bigger and beefier.
Check stuff like that, If even only for peace of mind knowing that you checked it.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  bigmike 10/18/2013, 4:09 pm

Thanks markmi definitely will you just gave me the best steering check list ever I didnt check half that stuff you just might have saved me a bunch of money without switching to geico.
bigmike
bigmike
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 10/18/2013, 5:47 pm

Hopefully something simple, but then again it's a Jeep, never mind the fact that it's a modified Jeep on top of that.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  bigmike 10/21/2013, 1:30 pm

Ding! Ding! We got a winner. It's the front trac bar bushing is shot. I mean 260000 miles on it would do it im sure. It will be delivered in a couple hours and soon find out if this is the only issue which im hoping for.thanks marknfor the mini steering checklist.
bigmike
bigmike
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 10/21/2013, 3:41 pm

That's great, at least you found something instead of scratching your head going WTF is wrong with it scratch 
Once you get the track bar squared away check the regular wear componrnts like Ball joints, wheel bearing/hubs, Tie rods etc.
The rear track bar bolts and bushings too, that can mess with the handling.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan McKee 10/21/2013, 10:19 pm

Mark wrote:That's great, at least you found something instead of scratching your head going WTF is wrong with it scratch 
Lol, you mean what I did for a year and a half, and a few thousand dollars?!
Ryan McKee
Ryan McKee
Admin

http://www.fellswaymedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 10/22/2013, 8:41 am

Yeah I hear that, But that's all behind you now!,,, ISN'T IT:cheers:
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  bigmike 10/22/2013, 3:41 pm

So I came to the conclusion that instead of the bushing swap I got a whole new stock track bar so much easier this way. That bushing wasn't coming out without taking the whole bar out. Since the whole thing came out in with the new
bigmike
bigmike
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 10/23/2013, 3:55 pm

With 260k on the OE track bar, a new track bar should tighten up the steering a bit.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down