North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mass ORV 4x4 Registration

5 posters

Go down

Mass ORV 4x4 Registration Empty Mass ORV 4x4 Registration

Post  Tobit 4/5/2012, 9:03 pm

Crossposted from NEA4WD

All ORVs must be currently registered in Massachusetts under MGL c. 90B. New Massachusetts Recreation Vehicle Laws require the display of registration on the left and right side of the vehicle. Additionally, motor vehicles registered under chapter 90 must now also register as a recreation vehicle under chapter 90B (on/off road motorcycles, Jeeps, etc.) when used for recreation or pleasure once they leave a public way as defined in chapter 90. Out of state recreation vehicle registrations are not valid in Massachusetts.

Contact the Division of Environmental Law Enforcement for registration information:
(617)626-1610 or
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dle/elereg.htm

Locations to purchase ORV registrations:
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dle/regoffices.htm

Registration Information:
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dle/instructionspage.htm

Cost (not including Sales Tax):
PLEASE BRING PROOF OF SALES TAX PAID
Resident ATV and/or Snowmobile $40 - Two Years
Non-Resident ATV and/or Snowmobile $30 - One Year

If visiting any Registration office, please bring a check or money order made out to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. No Credit Cards accepted!
Tobit
Tobit
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Mass ORV 4x4 Registration Empty Re: Mass ORV 4x4 Registration

Post  JaFra 4/6/2012, 8:16 am

I crawled all over those links, and didn't see a single reference to Jeeps having to be registered as OHV, since they're not allowed on state owned land/trails.
JaFra
JaFra
Admin

http://www.jafradesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post  janesy 4/6/2012, 9:33 am

It is true. The other club I'm in, WM4x4, has posted about it, same with the NEA. Can't think off the top of my head which trail it isn't necessary for, but even technically needed for private land that the state doesn't even own as well.

To me its BS and is a debated topic, some people wont give in, but could net you a ticket. I personally think if your registered as a street vehicle it shouldn't matter (like in NH), but not the case. Supposedly there are/ will be guys on four wheelers patroling.
janesy
janesy
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  angri 4/6/2012, 1:49 pm

I love taxachusetts.

sales tax + title fee + excise tax + a huge gas tax at the pump + registration fees = a sore behind
This is one thing I'm not going to pay for willingly. At some point we have to stand up and say WTF.

From what I can tell the law is written to say "All ORVs must be currently registered in Massachusetts under MGL c. 90B"
Last I checked my Jeep was registered as an on road vehicle.
Dirt bikes and 4 wheelers are called ORV (off road vehicle) because they can not drive on the roads for obvious reasons.
I don't see how my jeep can be considered an ORV simply because it has 4 wheel drive, big tires, and is capable of driving off road. It isn't a transformer.

I'm really tired of massachusetts trying to mount me from behind.

Last edited by angri on 4/6/2012, 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
angri
angri
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  JaFra 4/6/2012, 2:00 pm

It would be really cool if it were a transformer, though. My son gave mine the transformer name of "Flingout". I was just hoping he wasn't referring to it's occupants.
JaFra
JaFra
Admin

http://www.jafradesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post  angri 4/6/2012, 2:03 pm

JaFra wrote:It would be really cool if it were a transformer, though. My son gave mine the transformer name of "Flingout". I was just hoping he wasn't referring to it's occupants.
that's funny stuff. I was thinking how cool it would be if it were a transformer when I typed it lol.
angri
angri
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  KiloTango 4/7/2012, 11:21 pm

Here's the entire Mass GL, Section CHAPTER 90B MOTORBOATS, OTHER VESSELS AND RECREATIONAL VEHICLES
http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIV/Chapter90B

Section 20 has definitions of what applies to this particular Chapter

If you see any definitions here that specifically say jeep, you let me know. I did not see that.
It does however have the following definition:

“Recreation vehicle” or “off-highway vehicle”, any motor vehicle designed or modified for use over unimproved terrain for recreation or pleasure while not being operated on a public way as defined in chapter 90 including, but not limited to, all-terrain vehicles, off-highway motorcycles, dirt bikes, recreation utility vehicles and all registered motor vehicles while not being operated on a public way as defined in said chapter 90; provided, however, that recreation vehicles and off-highway vehicles operated exclusively for agricultural, forestry, lumbering or construction purposes shall not be subject to this chapter and it shall be an affirmative defense that such vehicle was being operated for such purposes at the time of an alleged violation of this chapter.

The stuff in the yellow "might" include jeeps but not specifically. And notably, there are exemptions. So maybe we just need to do a little trail work each time we wheel and say we were "foresting".

KiloTango
KiloTango
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down