North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Somerville Wrenchfest

+3
wayne07jk
Ryan McKee
ArticRubi
7 posters

Go down

Somerville Wrenchfest Empty Somerville Wrenchfest

Post  ArticRubi 5/6/2012, 6:03 pm

Planning a 4 day wrench-a-thon for this week, Thursday through Sunday. I've got a lot to put on including new sliders, corner armor, and tube fenders. Also on the to-do list but I'm not sure if I'll get to is installing a dual batteries and a 200 amp alternator. If anyone wants to come lend a hand in drilling holes into (and possibly ruining Very Happy) a shiny new JK body I'd definitely appreciate the help!
Thanks,
Duncan
PS, Thursday will mostly be painting/bedlining parts so not much help need there
ArticRubi
ArticRubi
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Somerville Wrenchfest Empty Re: Somerville Wrenchfest

Post  Ryan McKee 5/6/2012, 10:40 pm

Might be able to help Sunday! I'll keep you posted.
Ryan McKee
Ryan McKee
Admin

http://www.fellswaymedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne07jk 5/7/2012, 2:04 am

the first cut/ drill is the hardest after that they get easier
wayne07jk
wayne07jk
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  ArticRubi 5/7/2012, 10:54 am

Sweet, thanks Ryan. Lunch is on me.

Wayne, thank god I'm already over that part! I had to drill a nice hole in the body for my tire carrier latch. Speaking of which, want an OR-Fab tire carrier on the cheap? I'm going to be building a 4 point cage mount for mine since the OR-Fab one doesn't work well with my corner armor.

Besides drilling for all the nutserts, I also have to cut this hole on each side in the back:
Somerville Wrenchfest RearTubeFenders009
ArticRubi
ArticRubi
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  RobSheaTJ 5/7/2012, 1:30 pm

OUCH! Curious to see how this comes out. Good luck man.
RobSheaTJ
RobSheaTJ
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  ArticRubi 5/7/2012, 2:23 pm

Should be nicely protected when it's all said and done. I've also got the full skids from River Raider sitting in the basement, have to hold off on install until next week though, she's going under the knife monday and tuesday next week I'm doing away with my short arm lift and installing a long arm with 3-link front and rear, remote reservoir 2 5/8" front coilovers, and 2" remote reservoir shocks in the rear. I haven't ordered the rear shocks yet, not really comfortable with the "off the shelf" configurations. Going to cycle the suspension after the instal and get proper measurements for extended/collapsed/travel lengths and need to get bump stops set up also.

All the armor is from River Raider, they use 1/4" steel on the sliders and corners instead of the "other guys" who tend to be either 1/8" or 3/16" at best. Rear fender flares will be welded to the corner armor.
Sliders:
Somerville Wrenchfest 2doorsliders_2-500x500
Corners:
Somerville Wrenchfest 100_1506_353x218-500x500
Fender Flares:
Somerville Wrenchfest Fendercrop_1000x613-500x500

And if you haven't seen the skids from them:
Somerville Wrenchfest 015-500x500
Notice the triangle shaped plate on the engine skid, allows for easy access to the oil pan drain plug.
ArticRubi
ArticRubi
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 5/7/2012, 4:21 pm

*drool*!

So wish I could, but I'm gone Friday through Monday.....

Good luck!
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

http://www.geoffreymarsh.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ArticRubi 5/7/2012, 4:35 pm

CrawlingForward wrote:*drool*!

So wish I could, but I'm gone Friday through Monday.....

Good luck!

No worries! Looks like I'll be alright for help anyway, I've got a guy from BSJ likely coming to lend a hand on Saturday and Ryan may be able to help if I haven't finished by Sunday.
ArticRubi
ArticRubi
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne07jk 5/7/2012, 11:47 pm

what time you starting on thursday since i am free in the am and afternoon
wayne07jk
wayne07jk
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  ArticRubi 5/8/2012, 9:27 am

wayne07jk wrote:what time you starting on thursday since i am free in the am and afternoon

I should be starting about 9 Wayne, I'm a little concerned about the weather that day, "AM showers." worst case scenario I'll get a bit of a later start.

Anyone up for making a couple of quick welds for me? I've got 4 shackle tabs I need welded on, 2 on the rear bumper, 2 on the corner armor.
ArticRubi
ArticRubi
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne07jk 5/8/2012, 9:45 am

Let me know I can come and help Thursday morning
wayne07jk
wayne07jk
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan McKee 5/8/2012, 10:05 am

[quote="ArticRubi"]
wayne07jk wrote:
Anyone up for making a couple of quick welds for me? I've got 4 shackle tabs I need welded on, 2 on the rear bumper, 2 on the corner armor.

Is the steel cleaned up? If you can sand any powder coating off, and clean up the metal with denatured alcohol, I could help you out. The welder doesn't travel though, so you'd need to come to me when everything was set.
Ryan McKee
Ryan McKee
Admin

http://www.fellswaymedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ArticRubi 5/9/2012, 8:46 am

OK so it looks like things have changed a bit.

I've been waiting for delivery of the rear corners and fender flares, thought everything was resolved per my conversation with River Raider last week. Plan was to have the rear flares welded to the corners at their shop, shipped and ready for prime, paint, and install. Called today to make sure everything had been shipped and would be arriving on time, it turns out the rep I'd been speaking with wasn't familiar with the process for fitting the flares on the corners. Due to different Jeeps running different wheel bases (2" rear end stretch for me) they won't weld the fenders on without having the Jeep in for proper fitment to center the fender flare radius over the axle.

So what that means for this weekend:
Will still be installing rock sliders as planned, but I'm going to shelf the rear corners and fender flares. I would go ahead and fit the corners, but that requires me cutting 2 big holes in the back and rendering me illegal on the street until I can actually complete the project. That poses a problem since I have to drop it off in Yarmouth Monday morning. I'm scrapping the short arm lift and going to a 3-link front and rear long arm and front coilover conversion...If you haven't picked up on it already, that's a bit above my head in terms of the welding that needs to be done, especially concerning the axle side 3rd link bracket which welds to my front differential.
ArticRubi
ArticRubi
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  ArticRubi 5/9/2012, 9:35 am

Oh, to add, Ryan, looks like I won't be in immediate need of welding, since there's so much to be done at this point and I need to be street legal by Sunday night, I think I'm going to hold off on this part of it.
ArticRubi
ArticRubi
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  ArticRubi 5/10/2012, 2:23 pm

OK, and to add, hopefully I won't need help welding anything at all anymore. Ordered a Miller 211 MIG welder today from Arco in Medford. The corner armor/DIY weld on fender issue ended up pushing me over the edge, its about time I quit forking over cash and transporting my mess all over the state for someone else to do what I'm capable (after some brush up on the skills) of doing myself.
ArticRubi
ArticRubi
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 5/10/2012, 2:32 pm

ArticRubi wrote:OK, and to add, hopefully I won't need help welding anything at all anymore. Ordered a Miller 211 MIG welder today from Arco in Medford. The corner armor/DIY weld on fender issue ended up pushing me over the edge, its about time I quit forking over cash and transporting my mess all over the state for someone else to do what I'm capable (after some brush up on the skills) of doing myself.

Good for you, man! Aside from the pride factor, I feel like this is in the same category as a garage in that it's something that, without it, the things you should be capable become ridiculous productions and spend money on things that you could easily have saved on.

Looking forward to seeing the results! cheers
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

http://www.geoffreymarsh.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DakotaBuck 5/11/2012, 10:41 am

This sounds like fun - I would like to join, I bet would learn a lot. Unfortunately I'm in CT all weekend. Hope I can make the next Wrenchfest.
DakotaBuck
DakotaBuck
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  dongalonga 5/11/2012, 6:09 pm

I will kill for a garage. The things I could accomplish with a welder and air tools.
dongalonga
dongalonga
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down