North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MTR/K vs. BFG KM2

5 posters

Go down

MTR/K vs. BFG KM2 Empty MTR/K vs. BFG KM2

Post  Ryan McKee 3/29/2013, 8:58 am

Okay it's go time... I'm getting new tires and it's down between these two.

Who runs what. How's balancing, tread wear, grip in different scenarios, price, sidewall strength, mud clearing, etc.
Ryan McKee
Ryan McKee
Admin

http://www.fellswaymedia.com

Back to top Go down

MTR/K vs. BFG KM2 Empty Re: MTR/K vs. BFG KM2

Post  nsjbill 3/29/2013, 10:26 am

study
nsjbill
nsjbill
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  janesy 3/29/2013, 10:53 am

Ryan M wrote:Okay it's go time... I'm getting new tires and it's down between these two.

Who runs what. How's balancing, tread wear, grip in different scenarios, price, sidewall strength, mud clearing, etc.

From my experience both are great tires. Not 100% of price, but pretty close to each other.

The thing I didn't like about BFG's is that they run small. Balanced really nice, tread lasted a good while (when I sold them they had over 20k on them and still over 50% tread. Never really had much of an issue with their biting ability in any conditions or problems with sidewalls.

MTR's I got because I wanted to try a new tire out. I like that they are true to size. Haven't put many miles on them myself as I don't DD my rig, but mine seem to be wearing fine so far. I have heard recently that people aren't getting much life out of them and that there have been issues with the sidewall cuts. I do think they are a bit harder to balance as well and I have a ton of weight on mine, but they ride decent. As for biting ability these have been great, haven't had any issues getting up anything that I can think of.

Depending on how long these last, which should be a long while, since my rig may get at most 10k in a year, I'm not sure what tire I'd go with next.

BFG's were solid and so far I do like these, but like I mentioned, I've heard more bad things about the MTR's...

Last edited by janesy on 3/29/2013, 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
janesy
janesy
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  nsjbill 3/29/2013, 10:56 am

I have those two in my proposed list but I also am thinking of including the Toyo Open Country M/T and the Cooper STT. Have you considered those?
nsjbill
nsjbill
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 3/29/2013, 11:39 am

For what it's worth, we've been running the stock Mud Terrain T/A KMs for 50k miles now, and I've been pretty impressed. A bit noisy, which I believe the KM2s are better on.

At 50k, they probably have 20 or 30% left, so that's pretty impressive for a fast-wearing tire.

The KM2s have better siping, correct? Meaning they're probably better at snow and ice, but I'd be interested in how they are at self-cleaning. Tread looks a little tight...

Between the MTR/K and KM2s, though, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. It may just come down to price.
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

http://www.geoffreymarsh.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Miller 3/31/2013, 11:04 pm

Just a little of my input... As you obviously know i don't have either, but i have read quite a few reviews on the mtr/k's where the tire itself preforms great, but the tread wear was not that great. On the other hand, the km2's seem to be a decent tire as well. A kid in town here has a lifted jk with 35" km2's, and has had those on his jeep for about 3 years now, and the tread still looks to be in great shape and he has never off-roaded the poor jeep. Personally i have my eyes on the pro comp mud terrain tires. I have read several great reviews on this tire about the noise level, tread wear, and overall daily drivability. It might be another option to look at. Sorry to hi-jack to a different tire Very Happy
Andrew Miller
Andrew Miller
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Miller 3/31/2013, 11:14 pm

Hold that thought on the wear for the pro comps... mixed reviews
Andrew Miller
Andrew Miller
Admin

Back to top Go down