North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WANTED / NEEDED transfer case for 4.0 tj 5 speed

2 posters

Go down

WANTED / NEEDED transfer case for 4.0 tj 5 speed Empty WANTED / NEEDED transfer case for 4.0 tj 5 speed

Post  Mark 5/29/2013, 8:54 am

Looking to buy or trade jeep parts for a good transfer case for 4.0 tj 5 speed 23 SPLINE INPUT SHAFT.

My transfer case exploded, inside is messed up .
I started to install a t case I have from a cherokee until I noticed that the input shaft is too short BUMMER! I was saving it for nothing.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

WANTED / NEEDED transfer case for 4.0 tj 5 speed Empty Re: WANTED / NEEDED transfer case for 4.0 tj 5 speed

Post  OverlandXJ 5/29/2013, 10:21 am

Input shaft is too short? What is the length of output shaft you need? Also what 5 speed ate you mating to? As far as I knew they were all the same. Xjs came with ax5 and ax15 5 speeds and in 99-01 the nv3550. You could probably remove the planetary gear set from the busted one or just the output shaft and swap them over. Let me know and I might have a case to swap you for or at the very least and output shaft.
OverlandXJ
OverlandXJ
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

WANTED / NEEDED transfer case for 4.0 tj 5 speed Empty Re: WANTED / NEEDED transfer case for 4.0 tj 5 speed

Post  Mark 5/29/2013, 10:38 am

I have a t case from a older cherokee and the input shaft stub is too short to be called ok in my opinion.
It is from a cherokee with ax 15.
I blew up the planetary gearset, the input shaft, main shaft, planetary ring gear and some other parts.
The front case is different on older xjs they do not have hole for 4wd light switch, also shift forks and input bearing are different also other stuff too.

I can do without the light but the input shaft is too short and the newer ones have different gear cut so i can't just change the input shaft to a newer longer one.
Don't get me wrong, it will go in but the lack of spline contact is not ok .
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  OverlandXJ 5/29/2013, 11:20 am

I take it then that this t case has the long tail housing that covers the slipyoke. Ok now I'm on the same page. Let me do a little research and I will get back to you in the afternoon.
OverlandXJ
OverlandXJ
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 5/29/2013, 11:38 am

Tail shaft is a long shaft on tjs but that is not my concern as I'm putting in another sye shaft,,, the other sye main shaft one got destroyed., if its a 23 spline np231 with a long input stub on it then it will fit.
Where the t case bolts to trans the t case stub is short on my xj t case,
If you measure from the t case mating surface where studs are to end / top of input shaft and get measurement.
put a straight edge over input shaft and measure to t case mating surface.
Tj shaft measures 2 inches and xj is 1 1/4 inches from mating surface to top of input shaft. 3/4 of an inch is alot .

I believe that some xj t cases are same as my tj.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  OverlandXJ 5/29/2013, 11:47 pm

Sorry, my reseach did not pan out the way I was hoping, the only thing I have that will fit you the way you want is a 242 and that will require a Hack N' Tap style slip yoke.
OverlandXJ
OverlandXJ
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 5/30/2013, 9:44 am

transfer case

From Mark To kvesi122, Yesterday at 21:54
What are you doing with the transfer case in the junk jeep OR IS THAT THE ONE THAT YOU ARE REPLACING FRAME ON ? , Mine just blew up without warning, I thought I had a spare but it is the wrong one.
Trade or sell it? I have some tj parts.
Let me know
Thanks Mark,
PM ME,
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 6/3/2013, 11:12 am

Got a T CASE and all is well Very Happy
Thank's MARK,
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down