North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good place to to get wheels balanced? /Alignment?

+2
desertzj
Jake
6 posters

Go down

Good place to to get wheels balanced? /Alignment? Empty Good place to to get wheels balanced? /Alignment?

Post  Jake 5/29/2013, 8:04 pm

Hey guys, I'd like to get my wheels balanced but I'm not sure where to go. I also don't know if it really makes a difference who does it, but I've never had wheels with 33" tires balanced before so I'm not sure if it even matters.

Trying to eliminate some minor vibes on the highway and a wheel balancing seemed like the best place to start. I'm located in Beverly but I'd drive a reasonable distance to have it done by someone who knows what they're doing--if its worth it.

Thanks!
Jake
Jake
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Good place to to get wheels balanced? /Alignment? Empty Re: Good place to to get wheels balanced? /Alignment?

Post  desertzj 5/29/2013, 9:40 pm

hobhayward wrote:Hey guys, I'd like to get my wheels balanced but I'm not sure where to go. I also don't know if it really makes a difference who does it, but I've never had wheels with 33" tires balanced before so I'm not sure if it even matters.

Trying to eliminate some minor vibes on the highway and a wheel balancing seemed like the best place to start. I'm located in Beverly but I'd drive a reasonable distance to have it done by someone who knows what they're doing--if its worth it.

Thanks!

way too far for me, maybe one of the other guys will know. i've heard that the bb balancing is an easy way that works really well.
desertzj
desertzj
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Good place to to get wheels balanced? /Alignment? Empty Re: Good place to to get wheels balanced? /Alignment?

Post  Ryan McKee 5/30/2013, 8:06 am

Town Fair Tire will do up to 35" tires. As will Firestone!
Ryan McKee
Ryan McKee
Admin

http://www.fellswaymedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OverlandXJ 5/30/2013, 8:11 pm

I would sooner drive my Jeeps off a cliff than take either of them to Town Fair tire ever again. I took my WJ there to get some new tires, and the problems started there, the guy was a jerk about giving me the "price match" that they say they will do if you find them online for a cheeper price, then he insisted that I HAD to do a 4 wheel alignment which adds $60 to the total cost because just a front wheel is free with install, then they refused to install the 5 new TPMS sensors I had bought online for a good price telling me Quote: "we can not install tire sensors that are not our own because we do not want to be held liable if our technician breaks one while installing it". I am already fed up with them at this point and have spent 4 hours sitting waiting for my jeep when a sales guy comes out to tell me that they can not finish the last tire because THEIR guy stripped a lug nut and I HAVE TO PONY UP THE COST TO REMOVE IT. At this point it is 5 pm, and I cant take any more frustration so I calmly take my jeep home for the day. I return the next day to explain to the manager that there is no way I am paying a shop to remove the lug nut because I had nothing to do with it and his "technician" should have stopped before he rounded the lug nut completely. After a 1/2 hour of this they agree to pay to fix it so I drive my jeep down to a shop where apparently any time TFT breaks something these guys fix it. He tried an extraction socket and cracked the socket clean in half, tried pounding a socket onto it, in the end they had to drill out the stud. Took it back to TFT and told them I wanted the job finished and my TPMS installed. So they made me wait behind 6 other cars, then finally finished my jeep, threw it up on the alignment rack, gave me the results and I noticed the numbers for the rear did not change from one page to the next, So i asked why this was and he told me "there are not adjustments for a solid rear axel". SO all in all worst experience with my WJ and the reason I would sooner drive it off a cliff than take it to a TFT again.
OverlandXJ
OverlandXJ
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 5/30/2013, 8:25 pm

Holy bad experience Batman!
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake 5/31/2013, 7:10 am

So town fair is out then, that sounds like a pretty miserable time, I had heard that they weren't great but nothing like that.

Anyone have experience with any of the hogan tires? I've used them in the past with no complaints, but I didn't have 33's at that time.

Also, forgot to ask in my original post, where does everyone get their alignments done? I've heard that taking it to a place that will use the angles for the stock vehicle on a lifted vehicle is not a place you want to go.
Jake
Jake
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 5/31/2013, 7:35 am

What do you have for a jeep. Do you have adjustable control arms, track bars or any thing like that?
The only place that I know of is a garage in Hampstead NH just up the road from Haverhill.
I worked in a jeep shop up that way and we took our jeeps there after we lifted them.

Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan McKee 5/31/2013, 8:53 am

hobhayward wrote:So town fair is out then, that sounds like a pretty miserable time, I had heard that they weren't great but nothing like that.

Anyone have experience with any of the hogan tires? I've used them in the past with no complaints, but I didn't have 33's at that time.

Also, forgot to ask in my original post, where does everyone get their alignments done? I've heard that taking it to a place that will use the angles for the stock vehicle on a lifted vehicle is not a place you want to go.

Town Fair in Woburn is nothing like Chris' story. They've only ever been absolutely wonderful when I go in. I once went to have a spare re-balanced as the bead had popped the rim edge on a trail... a month later it was flat one morning, I went back and in 15 minutes they had re-mounted it again, re-balanced, and put it back on the Jeep... free of charge.

They're friendly, knowledgable, etc. You DO NOT need a 4-WD alignment. If you want a real alignment, call Steve's Jeep Country and ask for the name of the shop they send their Jeeps to. They aligned mine a month ago, all 8 control arms removed and re-set to the correct length-for-lift. Jeep drove miraculously well afterwords.

And Hogan told me once they couldn't do 35s.
Ryan McKee
Ryan McKee
Admin

http://www.fellswaymedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nsjbill 5/31/2013, 10:11 am

I also have to say Town Fair in Plaistow has been very good in my experience. They didn't try to force anything on me after I did the price match deal online. In fact, since I didn't need an alignment when I originally had the tires and wheels put on, they gave me a free one after I did my lift and had my tires rotated. Hell they even put on my spare tire extension when I asked but have since removed. I imagine you got a real crappy Town Fair in your area. YMMV as they say!
nsjbill
nsjbill
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down