North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JKU Lemon Law Debate...

4 posters

Go down

JKU Lemon Law Debate... Empty JKU Lemon Law Debate...

Post  AquilesT 9/6/2013, 3:20 pm

I dont mean to hi-jack the thread but the recent hitch pin convos are because of my original question.
I figured you guys could offer some advice.
I just got the jku rubi about a month ago it has 71k miles on it and it has what i believe is a 2.5 TF lift with about 1.5 or 2 inch spacers. I have had many issues with the dealer .. Multiple trips to service replaced from steerin damp. This week they did front links (factory rear) and like idiots they replaced all 4 brake pads but on passenger side rotors which make the car pull to one side when braking. The big issue is that there is some thump/kocking noise in the front end particularly in the drivers tire and all they are saying is live with it because there is nothing wrong with the suspension but the lift kit is making the noise. Ive owned it for a konth and the car has been there for almost half of the time.. Should i live with it .. Fight for them to put it back to factory or ask for my money back ( financed 23k for it). Looking for advice.
AquilesT
AquilesT
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

JKU Lemon Law Debate... Empty Re: JKU Lemon Law Debate...

Post  CrawlingForward 9/9/2013, 11:33 am

I'm having a little trouble understanding the background, but if they sold it to you with the lift installed already, they were responsible for making sure everything was safe and functional. If you installed it, it would be a different story and you'd be SOL.

With the braking noises, though, a dealership should know better than to replace pads without turning or replacing the rotors. Especially considering the premium $ they charge, if there's an issue afterwords, they need to fix it.

Counterintuitively, dealerships often know the *least* about Jeeps and their issues. You'll save a lot of time and headache by bringing it to reputable mechanic (or doing the work yourself if you're comfortable with it) instead of the dealership, especially if it's no longer warranty.

If you post up more specific information about the issue (when it occurs, when it started, specific vehicle details, what does it sound like) the guys on here have more vehicle specific knowledge than most any generic mechanic you'll find and we can help you diagnose the issue so you've got solid footing if you do decide you need to take it in. That way you won't be spending time and money while they try and figure out what's wrong.
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

http://www.geoffreymarsh.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AquilesT 9/9/2013, 12:43 pm

The lift kit was put on by the previous owner. I had them properly replace all brake pads and rotors but will take the jeep to a mechanic since the sales manager saidbi should get a second opinion when i asked for my money back.

As to what the noise sounds like its more of a clunk/thump. If i manually rock the jeep side to side it does not happen.. But if i drive at less than 15mph over bumps or uneven surface u can hear and feel the clunk/thump. As well as if you are going less than 5mph (for safety) and wiggle the steering wheel left to right or vice versa you have the same effect.
AquilesT
AquilesT
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 9/9/2013, 12:54 pm

I don't know coil spring suspension that well yet, but that screams of a loose track-bar bolt to me.

Anyone more knowledgeable want to chime in?
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonellin 9/9/2013, 3:12 pm

Does your JK have a dropped pitman arm installed from previous owner?  If there is a dropped pitman and NO track bar drop bracket what you could be experiencing is 'bump steer'.  Simply remove dropped pitman arm and replace with stock unit.

Crawlingforward could also be on the right track with the trackbar bolt.  The bolt itself is undersized from the factory.  You should be replacing the 14mm factory bolt with 9/16 grade 8's on the axle size.  Very easy to do here is a good write up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DiydwQHc7QQ
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/diagnosing-death-wobble-fixing-non-dw-shimmies-wobbles-1052221/
Tonellin
Tonellin
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  AquilesT 9/9/2013, 3:37 pm

When it comes to getting under the car and knowing where things are i am kind of new to that.. I am not sure which on of teraflexs'lift kits is on there but my assumption is either a 2.5 Budget boost with shock or their 2.5 standard lift kit with shocks im not sure how to find out either other than guessing with the naked eye..but with the lift kit under 3-4 inches it shouldnt require a pitman arm relocation and as too a loose trac bar that might be the case but i also dont get any wobbles/shimmies while driving( not even the type similar to unbalanced tires) ..
Allthough everytime i leave the dealer it seem to be fine until i drive about 3-5 miles then the thump/clunk noise seems to come back
AquilesT
AquilesT
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonellin 9/9/2013, 3:47 pm

No problem here is a really helpful picture that shows the key from suspension components for your JK

JKU Lemon Law Debate... Alignm11

At the very least you should replace the trackbar bolt. The dealership might be re-torquing it everytime you stop by but then it loosens up on you after a few miles or so. Replace and crank it down then go from there
Tonellin
Tonellin
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 9/9/2013, 4:49 pm

Oh, and are you familiar with the difference between a "budget boost" and a suspension lift? (Sorry if that's a silly question, but we all have to start somewhere, so I never like to assume).

A budget boost is just some spacers or pucks on top of the springs to give you a little bit more height.

http://thejeepwrangler.wordpress.com/2008/11/22/installing-teraflex-bb-coil-spacer-suspension-lift/

JKU Lemon Law Debate... Images.ashx?i=TFX_1381220_PIC_4_1_72

A suspension lift replaces the springs with taller springs

JKU Lemon Law Debate... Newvsoldspring
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  AquilesT 9/9/2013, 5:12 pm

Thanks for all of the details guys!..

No worries. Its a safe question given i did say i am new to getting under a car and figuring it out. I am leaning more to the Budget boost as i remember seeing spacers (what i thought were just black caps saying Teraflex) with their shocks. After work in about 2 hours ill try to take a peak at with whatever daylight there is still left.

On a slightly separate note...why would someone use wheel spacers if they are using factory wheels as they shouldn't cause any rubbing or anything with the budget boost? The previous owner left spacers on there and factory wheels.
AquilesT
AquilesT
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 9/9/2013, 6:04 pm

There's a couple of reasons.  Typically so you can fit wider tires on there.  If you've still got the stock tire size on, then it's probably just to get a wider stance, whether for stability or (more likely) aesthetics.
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 9/9/2013, 6:40 pm

Btw, I feel rude! I never asked your name or welcomed you to the forum!

It's a good group of guys (and gals) here and love paying forward all the help we got when we first started, so never feel silly asking what you feel is a basic question. (Besides, then we get to feel like big-shots when we know all the answers, Razz )

Feel free to post up in the name-to-faces thread or start your own thread in introductions to post up a few pictures of your Jeep!
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  AquilesT 9/9/2013, 6:48 pm

Im Aquiles from Boston (roslindale/hyde park).. I appreciate all the help/suggestions ive gotten so far. Great group of people!
AquilesT
AquilesT
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  AquilesT 9/9/2013, 11:50 pm

The thump/clunk seems to really only be felt in the front driver side area.

i know this might be getting into a different area and might need a new thread but let me know if thats necessary.

this is the current set up (front driver side) in the picture. by looking up the part number on the tag attached to the spring i found that in fact it is a factory spring. I assume that the white piece within the spring (not sure its actual name) is that suppose to have that little of a space between the lower end of it and the seat of the spring?

JKU Lemon Law Debate... Img_7511
AquilesT
AquilesT
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan McKee 9/10/2013, 7:20 am

Aquiles- great to have you. Feel free to use this thread to discuss your Jeep... no such thing as hijacking your own thread. You've definitely got a budget boost/puck lift.

The white rubber is called a "bump-stop" and prevents the tires from rubbing the wheel wells when you flex and compress the suspension.
Ryan McKee
Ryan McKee
Admin

http://www.fellswaymedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonellin 9/10/2013, 9:01 am

Is the coil seated correctly in the bucket? Maybe the PO didn't sit the coil when he installed the spacers

Any movement in the sway bar links?

Any play in the steering shaft? I know my steering shaft is on its way out and makes a similar noise but I'm not sure if thats a problem with the JK's or not

I'm still leaning towards the track bar bolt...
Tonellin
Tonellin
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  AquilesT 9/10/2013, 10:00 am

@ryan i thought thats what that was.. Learning in progress study 
@tonellin i know the links are good as they are brand new and i pulled and tried to shake them. As for the trac bar i couldnt really get a good grip on it to try to forcefully check for any loose/play in it.. And i have no clue about the steering shaft.
AquilesT
AquilesT
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonellin 9/10/2013, 10:29 am

Did you ever contact the dealer about replacing the remaining rotors? What kind of cheap a** dealership only replaces half the rotors when doing a brake job? You should absolutely go back after them for the rotors at least...

Hopefully you get a chance to check a few of those other things a give us an update..it should be easy to figure this out by process of elimination

Great lookin jeep btw..love the color
Tonellin
Tonellin
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  AquilesT 9/10/2013, 10:51 am

They ended up replacing both sides (factory pads but aftermarket rotors) that was after i asked for my money back then the salesmen suggested i get a second opinion at another shop. Funny thing is that their mehanic that worked on my JK was a Jeep tech for something like 10 years and had a JK himself.
Unfortunately i didnt buy at a jeep dealer but i dont know if that wouldve made my experience any better.
AquilesT
AquilesT
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum