North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Contemplating on getting new tires

+7
Rob Cote
Jake
Tonellin
Mark
blue55
bigmike
AquilesT
11 posters

Go down

Contemplating on getting new tires Empty Contemplating on getting new tires

Post  AquilesT 9/25/2013, 10:52 pm

Hello All!
So i have had the jeep for about a month and a half now and of course i had mods in mind. But i think the first (major investment) thing id like to do is change tires.
I know that it really comes down to personal preference based on prior experience with different brands and performance. So i have been looking at 35 x 12.5 to run on my stock rubi wheels; brands that seem to be in mind are toyo open country, nitto trail grapplers and duratracs (all MT's). Based on research and reading 35s should not rub as long as i use spacers and have atleast a 2 inch lift (which i do) and the fact that they are 12.5 doesnt seem to be an issue since many people run them and dont report having problems.
Thoughts? Suggestions?
AquilesT
AquilesT
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Contemplating on getting new tires Empty tires

Post  bigmike 9/26/2013, 6:44 am

Im a firm believer in the bfg mud terrain km2 mine are 31x10.5 and I get my rig in a lot of unexpected places I dont think ill buy another tire my next set will be 33x10.5. Y such a narrow tire it's because I have stock axles on a tj and it's less weight on them a slight less chance of breaking another axle shaft. Im eventually gonna work up to 35s one day
bigmike
bigmike
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Contemplating on getting new tires Empty Re: Contemplating on getting new tires

Post  blue55 9/26/2013, 8:11 am

33/10.5s are ok but not good with 8 inch wide rims. the rims are too wide and you will scrape the rims on rocks, etc.
Easier to poke/pinch sidewalls when aired down, less flotation, cant wrap around rocks and give a harsher ride on street and so on.
The width is not quite as important as diameter when it concerns axle breakage but it is still a factor.
When you go to taller tire size you change gear ratio wich makes SNAPPING those dana 35 AXLES more of a possibility. I've been there and don't want to go there again.

BFG's are great tires especially all terrains as they can rack up some high mileage.
A good friend of mine whom I wheel with has the 33/10.5 km2s on his yj and they seem to be wearing quickly and they are too narrow with his 8 inch rims and looks kinda odd and rides like crap, he will be the first to tell you that.
He regrets not purchasing 12.5s.
This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it like mud on a jeep.LOL
blue55
blue55
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 9/26/2013, 8:22 am

Installed a few sets of toyos and they seem to wear quickly.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonellin 9/26/2013, 8:54 am

I've heard lots of great things about the duratracs. Anyone I've talked to that runs them says they are great for DD duty and they perform nicely offroad. Not sure about how long they last but I can't say I've heard of anyone cursing them
Tonellin
Tonellin
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake 9/26/2013, 9:09 am

I can't provide insight on good tires but I can tell you if you want decent on road ride quality don't get mud claw radial MT's, might just be because mine are worn (and worn unevenly because I have no sway bars) but the ride is rumbly and loud to say the least.
Jake
Jake
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 9/26/2013, 11:03 am

Tonellin wrote:I've heard lots of great things about the duratracs.  Anyone I've talked to that runs them says they are great fr DD duty and they perform nicely offroad. Not sure about how long they last but I can't say I've heard of anyone cursing them
This. I have 33x12.5s and love them. Been dailying for a while now. On-road is awesome, off road is pretty good. Mud will give you a good run for your money though. Snow performance is excellent and rocks/dirt roads are no problem. I'd definitely recommend them.
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  AquilesT 9/26/2013, 11:52 am

I thought about getting BFG km2's but they seem to run a bit smaller than what is advertised ( i understand that advertised measurement are while unloaded and not on the jeep) but from looking around they seem to run smaller than other tires after being mounted.

The one thing that concerns me about duratracs is that i have seen that people complain about the sidewall strength and usually wish they had gotten MT/r 's but again that depends on the use and abuse the driver gives them.
AquilesT
AquilesT
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 9/26/2013, 12:21 pm

Mickey Thompson MTZ is a rugged tire
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 9/26/2013, 12:27 pm

eldomi809 wrote:The one thing that concerns me about duratracs is that i have seen that people complain about the sidewall strength and usually wish they had gotten MT/r 's but again that depends on the use and abuse the driver gives them.
I beat the hell out of mine going up MaBell aired down. No problems. That was the most aggressive wheeling I've done, I believe. I wouldn't let that be a concern me, but that's me. Honestly, I don't think I'd seen that anywhere before purchasing mine. I did quite of bit of reading before I bought any tires because this is my first car of this type and this whole realm of tire is new to me, so I didn't want to make a poor choice. I haven't been let down.

It definitely all depends on what you're trying to do with your rig. I submit that the duratrac is a very good all around tire. Probably not top of the heap in any category, but good across the board, if that makes sense.
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 9/26/2013, 1:13 pm

We have the stock rubicon/islander/mountain edition 32" BFG Mud Terrains (255/75/17?) on our JK and I've been pretty impressed with them.

They're awesome offroad on both rocks and mud, fairly polite on the street (loud, but quieter than most mud terrains).  If you rotate in the spare and take good care of them (proper rotations and alignment), we've gotten 60k out of ours so far with quite a bit of life still left in them.

I have the BFG All-Terrains (235/85/16) on my YJ and they're great too.  Excellent on road with pretty good off-road capability as well as long as things aren't too muddy or wet. The tall-and-skinny philosophy has worked really well for me, though.

Tires tend to go through trends, though.  Everyone was running the BFG ATs for a while, then it was the Falken Wild Peaks, now it seems to be the Duratracs.  All are good tires, all will serve you well.

My recommendation would be to first figure out the size you want, second figure out the type you want (all-terrain, mud-terrain, rockers, aggresive all-terrain), and then just find the one that fits your budget.  Honestly, most of us will never push our tires hard enough for there to be a huge difference between different brands offroad.  If it's a daily driver, pick the tire with the best road manners within the style you want.
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

http://www.geoffreymarsh.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bigmike 9/26/2013, 1:58 pm

This a fantastic thread guys I also like Goodyear mtr kevlar I'm hearing great things about them. They also are a bit short as well as the bfg km2 I believe they run about a quarter to a half inch shy of actual size. When you air these puppies down they don't get as flat as most tires. I mean deflate them to 15psi and take a step back and they still look more inflated than they really are. Both of these tires I hear have great sidewall strength. For mickey Thompsons my buddy runs them on his ford bronco and absolutely loves them a bit loud around 30 thousand miles. But what knobby tire doesn't.
bigmike
bigmike
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 9/26/2013, 9:06 pm

My Mickey Thompson MTZs make a bit of noise but my Dick Cepek FC2s wich are all terrains(same company different tire) make noise also.
They turn heads when rolling down the pavement. The FC2s seem to wear like Iron as do the BFG ALL TERRAINS when rotated properly.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  desertzj 9/27/2013, 12:44 am

i didn't read the whole thread, because well i'm lazy currently. But I have treadwrights (dont know if anyone mentioned it. Side wall was nice and gave me a good contact patch when I air down. Tires are retreaded with truck rubber and I can barely see any wear on them after 6k already. I got the wardens which are the bfg tread, I know a couple guys who have the M/T tread and they really like it. For about 30 to 100 bucks cheaper per tire, I'll buy them again when I upgrade to 33's
desertzj
desertzj
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  AquilesT 9/28/2013, 9:00 pm

I think i'll probably end up going with what i think will look best and what is cheaper after doing some more research for tire deals.... all of the above mentioned seem to all have good reviews and people like them so i guess i cant really go wrong with any of them.
AquilesT
AquilesT
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan McKee 9/29/2013, 12:08 pm

Late to the party, but 35x12.5 MTR/Ks here. Love them. Got'em at Town Fair Tire.
Ryan McKee
Ryan McKee
Admin

http://www.fellswaymedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bigmike 10/17/2013, 3:19 pm

Better late than not showing up. How was the price on them.
bigmike
bigmike
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  AquilesT 10/17/2013, 3:32 pm

I havent had a chance to get the new set of tires.. A bent rear driver side axle flange pushed me to change both rear axle shafts with ten factory chromos .
AquilesT
AquilesT
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 10/17/2013, 3:36 pm

eldomi809 wrote:I havent had a chance to get the  new set of tires.. A bent rear driver side axle flange pushed me to change both rear axle shafts with ten factory chromos .
Woof. How did that happen?
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

http://www.geoffreymarsh.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan McKee 10/17/2013, 3:52 pm

bigmike wrote:Better late than not showing up.  How was the price on them.

$230 a corner I think? Installed, etc.
Ryan McKee
Ryan McKee
Admin

http://www.fellswaymedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AquilesT 10/17/2013, 3:57 pm

Im not really sure to be honest.. The only time i could think that it wouldve happened was in the last run.. At one point we passed a puddle and then there was a rocky patch. I remember the back sliding towards the drivers side and then straightening out.. I didnt pay attention to the wobble thereafter i just though the wheel might have been out of balance until a like two weeks ago i tool it to my cousins tireshop to rebalance all the tires and then i saw this... https://youtu.be/lZrIeId1dmM pads and rotors had been done about 2 months ago and less than 1000 miles so it was pretty clear atleast to me that it was a bent flange
AquilesT
AquilesT
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 10/17/2013, 4:10 pm

The next time you check an axle to see if it is bent you should install the lug nuts to keep the rotor flat to the axle flange surface, or just remove the rotor.
If you do it with the rotor on you can put the E brake on slightly, that may help keep the opposite wheel with the tire on it from spinning so you can get the opposite side spinning faster.
Bent Axle= Bummer but i'd rather have that than a dent in the jeep.

Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  janesy 10/17/2013, 4:15 pm

Guess its common with stock JK axle flanges, at least from what I've heard. Better off upgrading anyway!
janesy
janesy
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  AquilesT 10/17/2013, 4:16 pm

After i did that test i figured i shouldve put the lug nutts on ... But base on the description of drivers behind me on the highway and any road that i drive on about 40-50 mph everyone thinks the tire is going to fly off
AquilesT
AquilesT
Class 6A

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 10/17/2013, 4:20 pm

Shake Rattle and Roll.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down