North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Constant power to wipers/turn signals

3 posters

Go down

Constant power to wipers/turn signals Empty Constant power to wipers/turn signals

Post  Rob Cote 2/11/2014, 11:12 am

The issue is pretty straightforward, but I've no idea where to look for the solution. When my key is off/out/whatever, I can still turn on my wipers and/or turn signals. What the heck?!
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Constant power to wipers/turn signals Empty Re: Constant power to wipers/turn signals

Post  CrawlingForward 2/11/2014, 12:43 pm

Rob Cote wrote:The issue is pretty straightforward, but I've no idea where to look for the solution. When my key is off/out/whatever, I can still turn on my wipers and/or turn signals. What the heck?!

It's gatta be shorting to something with perma-power. Ryan's thread on his kill-switch has some good pictures of the wiring in there, but what would have constant power?

Constant power to wipers/turn signals File-32

The radio/clock? That's the only thing I can think of....
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

http://www.geoffreymarsh.com

Back to top Go down

Constant power to wipers/turn signals Empty Re: Constant power to wipers/turn signals

Post  Rob Cote 2/11/2014, 12:52 pm

Stereo has always has constant power. This constant power at the wiper I think is a new one. Hard to say exactly when it started though because I don't typically try to use my wipers or turns after I shut the key off
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 2/11/2014, 4:03 pm

Hey Rob,
Ignition switch under dash on steering column NG?  
If you wiggle key does it ever stop doing it?
Pull #14 20 amp fuse behind glove box and see if it still works, if so you are supplying it with power from some other source some how.
# 3 fuse under the hood is for battery feed to ignition s/w if it is still working with # 14 out then keep it out and pull #3 under hood.
Keep us posted as to what you come up with.
Mark,

Last edited by Mark on 2/11/2014, 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 2/11/2014, 4:04 pm

Mark wrote:ignition switch under dash on steering column NG?  
If you wiggle key does it ever stop doing it?
Pull #14 20 amp fuse behind glove box and see if it still works, if so you are supplying it with power from some other source some how.
# 3 fuse under the hood is for battery feed to ignition s/w if it is still working with # 14 out then keep it out and pull #3 under hood.

Oh, duh. Ignition always has juice, it's only when you turn the key that it completes the circuit. Good call, Mark.
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

http://www.geoffreymarsh.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 2/11/2014, 4:14 pm

I have run into that issue before on older chrysler products, they had a problem with the wires melting together at/inside the electrical connection plug on the column under the dash at the ignition switch and sometimes the switch melts and shorts internally.
That made odd things happen, just a thought, don't know if that happens much with our year TJ.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 2/11/2014, 4:18 pm

I'm not at the Jeep right now. Are the fuses behind the glovebox numbered on the panel or is there a counting scheme?

I assume it starts top left with 1 and goes to the right, then down to the next row all the way left to right?
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 2/11/2014, 4:25 pm

They are numbered
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 2/11/2014, 4:30 pm

Doesn't work if I pull #14
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 2/11/2014, 4:39 pm

Then i would look in to the ignition s/w
or wiper s/w but it's probably one of them.
Put # 14 back and pull the #3 fuse under hood and see if it still works.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Cote 4/3/2014, 2:44 pm

Hey Mark, it's been a minute. I tried putting 14 back and pulling 3, IIRC, it didn't work when I pulled #3.
Rob Cote
Rob Cote
Moab Dessert

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down