North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

newb here and looking for welding/frame swap advice

4 posters

Go down

newb here and looking for welding/frame swap advice Empty newb here and looking for welding/frame swap advice

Post  kayemmkay158 7/31/2012, 1:49 pm

So i just bought myself my first wrangler a '98 with 97k on it a few months back. I've been lurking around the jeepforum and jeepwranglerforum and stumbled across here a few days ago! I saw a little hole in the frame when i bought the jeep but i just thought it wouldn't be too big of a deal, and now i am kicking myself for it Mad The lca is about to rip free from the frame on the left and right side. Does anyone have any helpful advice about welding in new pieces where the rotted ones are to the frame and then applying por15 to it? any tips or assistance is greatly appreciated!! I took it to a company near me today and they can fix it for about $2000, but i've been told i can fix this problem on my own (with a lot of hard work but a lot of money left over...)
kayemmkay158
kayemmkay158
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

newb here and looking for welding/frame swap advice Empty Re: newb here and looking for welding/frame swap advice

Post  Mark 7/31/2012, 10:54 pm

Welcome kayem,

Sorry to hear that about frame, I had to replace my whole frame.
Try quadratec , they sell frame sections it can buy you some time.
I just got done patching a TJ frame and once they start getting a holes in them, here are not long for this world even afer you patch it. They rot from the inside out and become very thin inside.

In time it will happen to most of them because the frame retains wet dirt ,road debris etc.
2 grand is kinda steep to repair a frame. You could look for a good used one if you have time and the place to swap it
A brand spanking new one is not much more .
97 to 02 is same.
Good Luck .

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56011_9007_07.htm

http://www.quadratec.com/products/product_search.php?cn=Frame+Repair+Sections&pn=56011+90xx
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

newb here and looking for welding/frame swap advice Empty Re: newb here and looking for welding/frame swap advice

Post  CrawlingForward 8/2/2012, 1:08 pm

Do you have any pictures of the area? It might help with some more specific recommendations!
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

http://www.geoffreymarsh.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 8/3/2012, 6:13 am

Is that jeep for sale in haverhill ?. I had seen one for sale today , looks the same
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  janesy 8/3/2012, 9:38 am

There is a company is RI that sells that part of the frame w/ control arm mount to repair that section. If you can weld, it would be a good option depending on the extent of the damage. Get some pics up!

I'll try to find the company and link it up.

Edit: Here it is... Might work for ya.

http://autorust.com/store/jeep/rear_trailing_arm_mounts_frame_repair_-_set_of_two_art-124-s?zenid=r0k58940dgh3rclo8ps0j0ri13
janesy
janesy
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 8/3/2012, 9:56 am

What happened to kayemmkay158?
Car 54 where are you!
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down