North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do brake calipers come with steel pistons anymore?

2 posters

Go down

Do brake calipers come with steel pistons anymore? Empty Do brake calipers come with steel pistons anymore?

Post  KiloTango 8/8/2013, 12:14 pm

Thinking of replacing my front brake calipers when I do my axle swap later this month.
All I can find at the local parts stores are remanufactured calipers with phenolic pistons.
Do brake calipers come with steel pistons anymore?

Anyone have any info on how the phenolic ones hold up to moderate use ?
KiloTango
KiloTango
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Do brake calipers come with steel pistons anymore? Empty Re: Do brake calipers come with steel pistons anymore?

Post  Mark 8/8/2013, 3:33 pm

What do you mean by moderate use? wheeling is not moderate use at 2 mph in a trail.
You drive 80 and jam on the brakes and it stops, doing that every 2  minutes is moderate use.
99 percent of the vehicles have phenolic pistons and they are just fine.

Don't waste time,money looking for steel pistons, 15 dollars for a reman at A Zone is just fine.
Dot 4 fluid is best to use, dot 5 is silicone and does not absorb water and is not good.
BUT DON'T LISTEN TO ME WHAT DO I KNOW MY JEEP IS BROKE, BUT ONLY BECAUSE I AM.
Health issues equate to cash flow issues so it's Looking like it's soon to be for sale, TJ, YJ and a motor cycle, something has to go will post soon.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Do brake calipers come with steel pistons anymore? Empty Re: Do brake calipers come with steel pistons anymore?

Post  KiloTango 8/8/2013, 4:33 pm

Thanks Mark!

Exactly what I wanted to know.

I can find the reman'd calipers with the phenolic pistons at AZ all day so that's the route I am taking.

Who said I drove moderately anyway ? bounce 
KiloTango
KiloTango
Daily Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down