North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

locker lsd ford 8.8

5 posters

Go down

locker lsd ford 8.8 Empty locker lsd ford 8.8

Post  bigmike 8/3/2014, 11:44 am

So I was thinking of installing a Mustang 8.8 limited slip in my rear end and an aussie locker in the front. I need some input on the Mustang lsd I hear its close to being fully locked seeing that it is designed for race use and abuse. 1 tire not so fast 2 tires much better.
bigmike
bigmike
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

locker lsd ford 8.8 Empty Re: locker lsd ford 8.8

Post  desertzj 8/3/2014, 12:07 pm

bigmike wrote:So I was thinking of installing a Mustang 8.8 limited slip in my rear end and an aussie locker in the front.  I need some input on the Mustang lsd I hear its close to being fully locked seeing that it is designed for race use and abuse. 1 tire not so fast 2 tires much better.

Do you already have an lsd? I rather get a full locker instead of an lsd if its an option
desertzj
desertzj
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  bigmike 8/3/2014, 12:29 pm

Limited slip in back because I can't afford selectable lockers and locked rear in the snow is terrible. So locked in front and lsd rear for now .
bigmike
bigmike
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  dongalonga 8/3/2014, 3:33 pm

The snow thing is a common misconception. A selectable locker (what should be used in the rear) has no such issues in the snow.
dongalonga
dongalonga
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 8/4/2014, 4:29 pm

I run aussie front and rear and yes, it can be a bit squirrly with a manual transmission, but it's not as deathtrap as people like to make it out to be.

Used to drive in snow constantly and never had any issues, as long as you're aware that you have to drive slightly differently.

I wouldn't recommend a rear auto-locker if you hand the keys to people all the time, but for just you it's fine. Front is not a big deal because you're not putting torque on it in 2wd, so normal driving it's heard and not felt and in snow if you're going fast enough to worry about it, then you don't need to be in 4wd.

Selectable is better, but auto works great and doesn't make on-road too crazy.
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

http://www.geoffreymarsh.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bigmike 8/6/2014, 8:47 am

So im waiting till next year to do this im over my yearly jeep budget by a mile the wife will kill me if I spend another cent on the rig . The Mustang lsd is a good setup I had one in my 89lx I coul smoke the tires doin 50 in 3rd gear but I did notice that one tire left a darker mark on the pavement. I tell you I don't miss the tickets.
bigmike
bigmike
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  dongalonga 8/6/2014, 2:05 pm

The mustang option is a really good one. Combine that with a front auto locker and you will be golden.
dongalonga
dongalonga
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  nnovickzj 8/6/2014, 6:34 pm

mustang axles are much weaker than the explorer axles and have different spline counts
nnovickzj
nnovickzj
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  desertzj 8/6/2014, 9:54 pm

nnovickzj wrote:mustang axles are much weaker than the explorer axles and have different spline counts

the axles are weaker, but the lsd's are stronger vs an lsd out of an exploder. question is more are they interchangeable which i don't know
desertzj
desertzj
Rausch Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  bigmike 8/6/2014, 11:58 pm

My rustang had a 31 spline but they do make a 28 spline that ford offers for mustangs I never had issues with axles just bending the axle tubes bad enough to get a 9 inch rear then twisted that then sold it . A 351 can ruin alot stuff.god I miss that car.
bigmike
bigmike
Mall Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down