North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

North Shore Jeeps
Time to get the Jeep dirty! Register or log in to join the fun. If you don't, it's really your loss. There are good, knowledgeable people here. Some odd ones too, but most are o.k....
North Shore Jeeps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

YJ Gas gauge

3 posters

Go down

YJ Gas gauge Empty YJ Gas gauge

Post  CrawlingForward 8/29/2014, 1:37 pm

So my gas gauge won't go below 1/2 anymore and it's been like that for a couple years.

My research told me it was a warped splash shield in the tank and not to worry about it until I'm pulling the tank anyway.

However, I realized something that I'd never thought enough to ask about during my diagnosing.

When I turn my YJ off, the gas gauge stays where it is while the other gauges go dead. That's normal right?

It's not like a just have a sticky gauge or anything, right?
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

http://www.geoffreymarsh.com

Back to top Go down

YJ Gas gauge Empty Re: YJ Gas gauge

Post  Mark 8/29/2014, 2:24 pm

Hmmmm,,Geoff,What happens when you unplug the sending unit and then turn the ignition is on,,Does it go to full?

Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  CrawlingForward 8/29/2014, 2:26 pm

Ugh. Unplug the sending unit? Doesn't that involve dropping the tank?
CrawlingForward
CrawlingForward
Moab Dessert

http://www.geoffreymarsh.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark 8/29/2014, 2:34 pm

I believe that you should be able to w/o dropping the tank. I can on the TJ but i haven't looked under the YJ in a while.
I kinda can't get too close to the YJ, Bees have made it home for the summer.
Mark
Mark
Rubicon Trail

Back to top Go down

Post  THOOPY3 8/29/2014, 2:56 pm

The gauge on the YJ should stay exactly where it was when you shut the Jeep off, give or take. Sometimes I'll come out to find mine has actually crept up a little bit, but you're correct in your thinking Geoff. You could just have a bad float, not sure if that has anything to directly do with the sending unit. I know when my pump shit the bed a few years ago the float was way off when the shop re-calibrated everything and it was telling me that ~12 gallons was a full tank. The float can be adjusted, but that is without question a dropping the tank job.
THOOPY3
THOOPY3
Moab Dessert

http://sorrygonecamping.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down